HomeAnswersNeurologyheadacheI am suffering from persistent headache and neck pain. Please help.

What could cause persistent headache and neck pain?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At November 28, 2023
Reviewed AtJanuary 11, 2024

Patient's Query

I have been experiencing headaches and pain in both sides of my neck and at the back of my head. I also feel pain behind the ears, below the ears, and a painful jaw but no problems with my teeth. I am on Venlafaxine. Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) showed clear wear and tear in the neck and ears. Tinnitus and throbbing in my ears. No medication to date has worked.

Answered by Dr. Hitesh Kumar

I am glad you chose icliniq for your medical-related queries.

I understand your concern and will try to help you with it.

I would like to know further details about your problem:

1. Since when did you start to having headaches?

2. In which areas of your head do you feel that headache? Where did it start?

3. What kind of headache is this- heaviness, throbbing, stretching, bursting, shooting, electric current-like pain, or some other kind?

4. Is it severe, moderate, or mild?

5. Is the headache episodic only or some kind of persistent headache? If episodic headache, how long does one episode of it last (from onset to complete relief without medication)?

6. How frequent are these headache episodes before and now? How many times in a week?

7. Do you feel any vomiting or feeling of vomiting, watering from the eye, redness in the eye, or nasal congestion during a headache?

8. How is your mood today?

9. How is your sleep? How is your vision?

10. Have you noticed any trigger factors for this headache?

11. Since when have you been taking tablets of Venlafaxine and Lorazepam?

12. Does the throbbing in the ear occur simultaneously to the headache episode, or do both occur separately?

13. Have you any difficulty in hearing or ear discharge?

Thank you for consulting me.

You can always come back and reach me at icliniq.com.

Investigations to be done

MRI Brain with contrast Ophthalmology examination to look for refraction/ intraocular pressure/ fundus.

Regarding follow up

Revert with above mentioned information for better understanding and judgment. Also, send the MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) images.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Hitesh Kumar
Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Neurology

Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Read answers about:

headacheneck pain

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Neurology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy