HomeAnswersInfectious DiseasesheadacheFor the past few years, I feel like something moving around my body despite having a normal scan. Why so?

How to fix poor eyesight, headache, bloody stools, and difficulty in swallowing?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At November 12, 2023
Reviewed AtDecember 1, 2023

Patient's Query

I am 61 years old and for the past two years, I have been suffering terribly from something moving around my body despite nothing showing on previous scans, etc. I can no longer chew my food properly, or use my arms effectively. I have poor eyesight, headache, bloody stools, and difficulty in swallowing.

Kindly help.

Thanks for your query.

My response is that you are unlikely to have any worms nor you are likely to have any major psychiatric conditions. You may not have been able to complete this query request so clearly if your thinking was cloudy. Wanted to know why are you continuing with anti-HIV drugs at 61 years. For suspected parasitic infections, we could attempt anti parasitic medicine. The 3-day course again.

I hope it helps.

Patient's Query

I am HIV positive which I contracted via my husband to whom I married unaware of his HIV status. I later found out he refused treatment as he was unable to accept his condition. He passed away with an inoperable brain tumor 20 years back when I was also diagnosed HIV positive. HIV status remains undetectable and the treatment is ongoing for the rest of my life. I found out that certain types of parasites can migrate from the intestine to other organs including the neck, head, brain, etc. This thing is now hooked into the brain as everything is being pulled upwards. I am now anemic and taking folic acid and Iron tablets. Right now as I type it is threading through the collar bone and choking me. I can barely swallow. My neck is twisted, my limbs numb, and I cannot control it or manage it. What else could it be? My organs cannot move around, can they? I have read these flukes can live for years and in some cases, they paralyze and blind their hosts or kill them. My eyesight is now blurred as I type this message, would Praziquantel have any effect at this stage? I am managing to urinate now but have to force it, I urinate into a measuring jug placed in my commode. I have spent this morning deeply depressed and tearful now because I cannot control or manage these symptoms.

Being a doctor and a physician, it is important to ask and notice all associated conditions, medications as human beings, and human diseases are a combined effect of all causes and interactions of diseases and medications being administered. Furthermore, please note that anti-HIV medications such as Tenofovir and Emtricitabine are also used for long-term pre-exposure prophylaxis ( PrEP). However, having observed a third medication, Efavirenz, in addition, it was required for me to know the background. It would be ideal if you could kindly share the current prescriptions to understand the dosages you are currently taking.

Additionally, please note that usage of medications related to HIV might cause adverse events and drug interactions not excluding psychiatric manifestations, particularly Efavirenz.

I would urge you to discuss with your local HIV physician to kindly consider changing Efavirenz and replace with better alternatives (such as Dolutegravir) as per clinical judgment and your clinical status. As per current treatment guidelines for HIV, Dolutegravir and Bictegravir-based regimens are considered superior in terms of safety and treatment efficacy. Switching from stable Efavirenz-based regimens to the above regimens has proven in terms of clinical evidence to be safer, and more efficacious.

Also, request you to share any medication or medical history related to any other possible chronic ailments such as hypertension, diabetes, heart ailments, gastrointestinal ailments such as acid peptic diseases, bowel disorders (you mentioned Gaviscon), urological or gynecological ailments, if any. As far as parasitic infestations are concerned, it is less common to contract liver flukes and related infections.

I hope to helps.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Shubadeep Debabrata Sinha
Dr. Shubadeep Debabrata Sinha

Infectious Diseases

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Infectious Diseases

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy