Q. Can ear wax cleaning cause pernmenant loss of hearing?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

I had routine ear wax cleaning performed a few days back. I had perfect hearing back then. The doctor scratched the ear canal and stopped before finishing. Now I mainly cannot hear in that ear. I was put on antibiotics and steroid solution for ten days. He says the last bit of wax is impacted against the bottom of the ear canal. Is it that what is causing the loss of my hearing? Or could he have caused the permanent hearing loss? I have to go back to him to finish the job but I am afraid. What do you suggest I should do?

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern. In my opinion, many times wax can get impacted close to or right over the eardrum causing obstruction to the normal movement of sound waves which causes decreased hearing. This is a very common thing to happen. You will have to go back and get the remaining portion of wax suctioned out under vision. This has nothing to do with permanent hearing loss. Medications can reduce any possible inflammation around the ear canal making it difficult to remove that last part which is near the eardrum. There is absolutely nothing that you need to worry about.

If there is anything more you need to know, please do let me know.

|