Q. Why is my baby having hearing loss after a cold?

My 5-year-old son is suffering from bilateral hearing loss. He was born as a normal child. Suddenly, he got such problem due to cold.

Dr. Sunil Jalan
MS(CMC, VELLORE)., DNB,DAA(DIPLOMA IN ASTHMA AND ALLERGY)., MBA (HM
Otolaryngology (E.N.T

Your son is suffering from bilateral hearing loss following a cold. This is most likely due to obstruction of the tube connecting between the ear and the nose (ETD: eustachian tube dysfunction). You can start the following medicine syrup T-Minic (Chlorpheniramine maleate and phenylephrine) 5 ml two times for two weeks. If not improving, then you need examination by local ENT surgeon and hearing test (audiogram).

Query: Hi doctor, My mother-in-law is suffering from hearing loss for the last 10 days. There is no pain in the ear, but sudden hearing loss. She can hear, but hearing capacity reduced by more than 30%. Please tell me some solution for this. Thank you.  Read Full »
Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The description of rapid progression of hearing loss of your mother-in-law fits into a sudden hearing loss. It needs detailed history and examination. What are the onset and progression of hearing loss? Did she have any trauma? Is she on any drug or antibiotic? Is th...  Read Full »

Query: Hello doctor, For my work which needs concentration, I need a noise cancellation headphone which filters out sounds. Is there any chance of hearing loss or impairment with use for 10 to 12 hours a day?  Read Full »
Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you should not use headphones for more than three hours in your case. It also depends on what frequency and what decibel of sound the noise cancellation masker will have. You can rather use ear plugs. For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --...  Read Full »

Query: Hello doctor, My symptoms are constant lightheadedness, feeling like drunk all the time, fatigue after a couple of hours and clicking sound when swallowing in both ears since last eight weeks. Yawning also causes a clicking sound. Ear fullness in both ears, some weird very low buzzing sound in the ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. We need to have a look at your reports and investigation films for correct diagnosis. Kindly upload all the reports and relevant investigation films and get back to us. Eustachian tube dysfunction does not take that long to heal. Appropriate medicines will help you ...  Read Full »

Query: Hello doctor, My wife lost her hearing for the past 30 hours. I took her to the doctor and he said it is because of typhoid fever. My wife got fever 15 days back. So, what should we do? Will she get her hearing back?  Read Full »
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to audiometry (attachment removed to protect patient identity), she is having a nerve loss. Acute, sudden hearing loss is possible after typhoid or any other viral fever. Mostly, it is not 100% recoverable. If she is absolutely fine, then I suggest her tablet N...  Read Full »

Query: Hi doctor, For the past few days, I am not able to hear properly through my left ear and it is almost down to 50%. I have consulted an ENT specialist and they suggested for a CT scan. Everything is fine in the scan. Sugar and BP levels are normal and they injected some steroids for two days. Still, ...  Read Full »
Dr. A.k.srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and you have developed sudden hearing loss in your left ear for the last few days. As you are neither hypertensive nor diabetic, the possibilities are acute labyrinthitis, eustachian tube dysfunction and idiopathic. Now, you have to consult your ...  Read Full »

Query: Hello doctor, I have an eardrum perforation since childhood. I had tympanoplasty done last year but, that failed. Now, the ear keeps discharging all the time. I completed a course of Ciprofloxacin and Dexatops ear drops but after a week, the discharge is back. Please advise.  Read Full »
Dr. Vinay S Bhat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A recurrent ear discharge after a failed tympanoplasty needs to be evaluated completely. The causes can be a reservoir of infection in your mastoid bone, resistant organism, Eustachian tube dysfunction, etc. The permanent treatment is a revision tympanoplasty usually d...  Read Full »

Can Ovral G be used as an emergency contraceptive pill?
Cold and Flu - Causes | Symptoms | Diagnosis | Treatments
I-Pill - When to Take and Its Side Effects

Also Read Answers From

Ask an ENT Otolaryngologist »