Q. I have decreased hearing in both the ears. Is it caused due to impacted earwax?

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I am a 30-year-old male with a weight of 63 kilograms and a height of five feet. I have decreased hearing in both ears. I think that there is a wax formation and it blocks the ways. Please suggest an ear drop to get relief.

#

You can have impacted wax. This causes extreme frustration and blocks the entire ear canal. This results in pain and decreased hearing. Try to follow these measures to have relief. Stop using earbuds at any cost. It can introduce a new infection in the ear canal and cause folliculitis. Cleaning your ear on your own is a blind technique and you can traumatize the ear canal and eardrum. The wax usually falls on its own due to jaw movements. But it can be further pushed into the ears and it can cause trouble while cleaning the ears on your own.

You can use Soliwax ear drops (Benzocaine with Paradichlorobenzene) or Ear wax dissolvent ear drops three drops three times a day for five days. This will liquefy the impacted ear wax and it gradually subsides pain and inflammation. If there is no relief, it is best to do suctioning of the retained impacted contents by consulting an ENT (ear, nose, and throat) specialist. The wax dissolvent just liquefies the wax and it does not remove it completely. So it is best to do suctioning of the impacted contents when there is no relief after using ear drops. Once the blob is removed, then you can have immediate relief from the symptoms.

|