Q. My grandmother suffered a minor heart attack. Can medicines remove the heart block?

Dr. Isaac Gana
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 02, 2021

I have an 80 year old grandmother. She had unbearable chest pain two weeks back, due to which she was admitted to the hospital. After checking the ECG report, the doctor said that she suffered a minor heart attack. He said that my grandmother has a blockage in the heart. She does not have chest pain now, but she is weak. I will attach the latest ECG and medication file for your information. Please help me out.

#

I have gone through your grandmother's test result (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

I can see some changes, which confirms that she suffered a heart attack.

Suffering a heart attack is not something anyone recovers from immediately, it will certainly take some time.

Especially, because of your granny's age, recovery will be quite slow.

I have seen she has been placed on some medications already, which is quite good.

Hopefully, she should get back on her feet in due time.

For further queries consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Thank you so much for your quick response. Is this heart block life-threatening? Can the medications control the blockage? She is talking whatever that comes to her mind. Will she be normal again?

#

Yes, the medications will help the better flow of blood through the heart block and improve her general condition. There is a good chance of recovery.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Thank you again. I am so sorry to bother you again, my grandmother feels sleepy whole day, but she is not able to sleep at night. She has no idea about what she is talking. She is not able to control her body movements. I hope this is not a serious concern, I am so worried. Please help.

#

I understand your worries, I am here to help you anytime.

When a person suffers a heart attack, it is because there is a blockage in a vessel which stopped blood flow. It causes damage to some part of the heart.

• The prognosis (outcome) depends on a lot of things, like when she started receiving treatment after the attack.
  • Your granny's echocardiography is quite good for her age after suffering a heart attack, so there is a good chance she will recover.
  • It is common to see patients with general weakness and movement problems after a heart attack. It is all in the process of healing.
  • Try to massage her gently at least once a day, and always remember to give her all medications as prescribed.

Thank you so much for your quick response. I have noted everything you said, and I will follow all your instructions. She slipped due to which she is also having back pain. As a result, she is not able to sit for a long time. I usually try to move her hands and legs regularly. Before she was not eating anything, but now after these medications, she had started eating, but very less. Can you suggest what all things should I give her to eat and what all things should I avoid giving her?

#

• Give her more vegetables, fruits, and fish.
  • Avoid giving fried food and meat.

|