Q. What does mild LA dilation in sonogrpahy indicate?

Dr. Carlos L. Alviar
Published on Jun 09, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 12, 2019

I am a 48-year-old male with 5”8 height and 250 lbs in weight. No health problems. Blood pressure is 118/70. Total cholesterol is 165, LDL is 99, Hdl is 46 and Triglycerides 101. Had sonography of heart and said I had a mild LA dilation of 4.8 cm. Please help.

Dr. Carlos L. Alviar

Cardiology Critical Care Physician
#

No major concern but it would be important to know why your left atrium is dilated. It may be because of higher blood pressure or problems with the heart valves or due to any heart muscle problem. I recommend you see a specialist as you might need some additional workup, perhaps a heart rhythm monitoring and or a stress test.

High blood pressure, and valvular disease.

Heart rhythm monitor.

| 

I have high blood pressure. Can I work out at a gym?

Query: Hello doctor, I am checking my blood pressure for a week now and it is mostly about 134/94. A physician asked me not to work out at the gym. Can you please advise if I can join a gym? My parents and a few other relatives had high BP. I have done an ECG and chest X-ray last year and b...  Read Full »

Do my echo and stress echo show any heart problem?

Query: Hi doctor,I had chest pain, dizziness, palpitations and shortness of breath. I got an echo and a stress echo. I am worried about the results. I have attached the results here. I played soccer almost every day for about a year until three months back where I started getting palpitations. I have done ...  Read Full »

Is my dizziness related to any heart problem?

Query: Hello doctor, I feel dizzy the whole day. In the last 10 days, I have consulted three doctors, physician, ENT doctor and also checked audio test of the ear. The ENT doctor said that there is no problem in ears, but my dizziness is continuing. It feels like there is no balance in my body. I cannot s...  Read Full »