Q. What does mild LA dilation in sonogrpahy indicate?

Dr. Carlos L. Alviar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 09, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 12, 2019

I am a 48-year-old male with 5”8 height and 250 lbs in weight. No health problems. Blood pressure is 118/70. Total cholesterol is 165, LDL is 99, Hdl is 46 and Triglycerides 101. Had sonography of heart and said I had a mild LA dilation of 4.8 cm. Please help.

#

No major concern but it would be important to know why your left atrium is dilated. It may be because of higher blood pressure or problems with the heart valves or due to any heart muscle problem. I recommend you see a specialist as you might need some additional workup, perhaps a heart rhythm monitoring and or a stress test.

High blood pressure, and valvular disease.

Heart rhythm monitor.

|