Q. Will taking anabolic steroids affect 75 mg Clopidogrel?

Will taking anabolic steroids affect 75 mg Clopidogrel? I have been prescribed 75 mg Clopidogrel for a stent I have recently had fitted in my heart. I am a bodybuilder and so I wanted to know if taking anabolic steroids, T3, Clenbuterol, and Accutane will reverse the effect the Clopidogrel is having and put me more at risk of having a problem with the stent.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

Here the relationship of Clopidogrel is not straightforward. Firstly, I would like to tell, little data is available on this topic as such patients are very less, so definitive answers are available.

Now, regarding anabolic steroids, there is no randomized control available to tell us the straight forward answer. However, anabolic steroids are known to be thrombogenic and may increase the risk of clotting. This is study proven. Also, has got other cardiac effects like hypertrophy, dyslipidemia. So it is better to avoid anabolic steroids use as it may antagonize the effect of Clopidogrel.

Regarding T3, it can increase the heart rate and increased myocardial oxygen demand so it may be deleterious if there is ongoing ischemia or significant blockages left in some arteries. However, may have it with proper monitoring in optimum dosage. Again, Clenbuterol should not be taken in excess as it can also lead to an increase in heart rate at a higher dosage. Accutane again has got some cardiac adverse effects but may be taken in optimum dosage, but lipid profile should be monitored and as less duration as possible.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

| 

I was just advised that if I workout in the gym as I am taking Clopidogrel and Aspirin that this can cause bleeding in my tissue? Is this correct? Am I unable to do any gym training? I feel really worried.

#

Unlikely to bleed. Spontaneous bleeding is less likely, but if there occurs some injury or trauma then there is a risk of bleeding in tissue or outside. In general, heavy activities are prohibited in cardiac patients, so you may do moderate activities in the gym, and care should be taken to avoid injury. Also, dual antiplatelets will have to be continued for a year only then needs single antiplatelet only.

|