Q. There is a change in heart rate after joining gym. Why?

Dr. Isaac Gana

I am a 400 lbs, 35-year-old male who did not do exercise but I just started going to the gym since past week. The first three days my maximum HR was 150 on the treadmill and I felt fine and I would do 40 minutes on it and today I only did 30 minutes because I started to feel a little dizzy and my HR went up to 158. Why is that?

Do you have a question on Heart Rate or Exercise?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Isaac Gana

TERNOPIL STATE MEDICAL UNIVERSITY UKRAINE, MD., CARDIOLOGY SPECIALITY
Cardiology

I understand your concern. It is normal for the heart rate to go as high 300 bpm. You are exercising the wrong way for someone with your weight. You have to start exercising by taking a five-minute walk on the treadmill before gradually increasing the pace to a speed of 5/6 for 10 to 15 minutes. You should do this routine for two weeks before gradually increasing the duration to 20 minutes. Increase the speed gradually as you get used to. You get the dizzy feeling because your heart is having to pump more blood as you run, which it is not used to. You will over come this feeling as times goes on.

My resting heart rate is increased. Am I at the risk for a heart attack?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old male, who is fit and active. I do not drink alcohol or take illegal drugs. I smoke about 15 cigarettes a day and drink some coffee and tea, about two or three cups a day. I do not like energy drinks, so I never take them. I am not on any medication. About three we...  Read Full »
Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your main concern seems to be an increase in resting heart rate and the presence of heart murmurs. Tea, tobacco, and caffeine together increase the heart rate. The fact that your father suffered a heart attack seems to be troubling your mind, causing persiste...  Read Full »

My heart rate is high while doing exercise. Please advise.
Query: Hi doctor, My heart rate is 90 to 100 while doing exercise. Should I reduce my exercise and take more rest? Or do I need to do exercise such as jogging every day?  Read Full »
Dr. Krutika Ingle Karandikar
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, I would like to inform you that your heart rate is completely normal. Also, when you exercise, it is a normal phenomenon that the heart rate raises. It is only after regular long sessions of exercising that the lower heart rate is seen, like in athletes or marath...  Read Full »

What exercise precautions are needed for someone who is not on blood thinners?
Query: Hello doctor, I am an accredited exercise physiologist currently working with a client who is taking blood thinners. Recently, the client will be going for oral surgery and has to stop taking the blood thinners five days in advance.  The client will be completing one last exercise session with me o...  Read Full »
Dr. Smrita Singh
Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to know the age of your patient and whether he is hypertensive. I would advise you to ask your patient to avoid any exercise that would result in an impact e.g. jumping, boxing, or exercises involving the use of weights or resistance bands. These forms of ...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now