Q. I suffer from heartburn, panic attacks, chest pain, and uneasy breathing for three years. Please help.

Dr. Acha Varun Babu
and medically reviewed by Dr.P.C.Pavithra Pattu

I am 22 years old. My height is 161 cm, and my weight is 50 kg. I suffer from heartburn, burps, chest pain, panic attacks, sudden unease in breathing, fast heartbeats, and uncomfortable feelings for three years. At present, I am not under any medication, but I have taken Rabeprazole and Digene in the past. Please help.

#

Based on your history, I suggest you undergo few investigations to rule out gastric, cardiac, and pulmonary causes for your symptoms like heartburn, uneasy breathing, etc.

1. May I know what your job is and the kind of work you do?
  2. How are your bowel habits?
  3. Any past medical and surgical history?
  4. How are your food habits?

A detailed history is needed to rule out the cause. I suggest you continue Rabeprazole as you are using it already (half an hour before breakfast). Instead of Digene, I suggest Sufate O (Sucralfate) syrup 10 ml in the morning and evening. A gap of atleast one and a half an hour should be maintained between Sufate O and Rabeprazole.

1. Avoid spicy foods.
  2. Do not go to bed as soon as you have lunch or dinner. At least two hours gap should be maintained.
  3. Take frequent snacks or meals.
  4. Avoid tea.

Kindly do the investigations below. Consult a nearby doctor, or you can send images of the reports as an attachment to me. I hope your doubt is cleared.

1. Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy.
  2. ECG (electrocardiography).
  3. Chest X-ray.
  4. CBP (complete blood picture).
  5. CUE (complete urine examination).
  6. Thyroid Profile.

|