Q. Why am I suffering from sudden heavy bleeding?

Dr. Manwani Saloni Dilip

My last period ended about three weeks ago. I have been spotting tiny clots on tissue when I wipe for the previous two days. Last night I started bleeding heavily and had to change clothes twice in the middle of the night. And I have been passing frequent and huge blood clots since then. Any idea what could cause this?

I have a nineteen-month-old baby, have mild abdominal pain with heavy bleeding, and suffer from fatigue. I am experiencing this for the first time, and I am not taking any medication for the same.

#

I would firstly recommend getting a urine pregnancy test as a failing pregnancy or an ectopic pregnancy could cause bleeding. Have your periods been regular?

If your pregnancy test is negative, I suggest taking Tranexamic acid tablets to control bleeding. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with them and take the medicines with their consent. It would help if you had ultrasonography to look for abnormalities.

I have been experiencing irregular periods in my life the past five years. I will definitely get a pregnancy test done.

#

Alright, I suggest you check your thyroid levels if they are not done already to evaluate irregular periods.

You are welcome.

|