Q. I experience heavy flow and cramps during my periods. Please help.

Dr. Uzma Arqam
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Jul 20, 2019

I got my period again five days after the last one finished. Last one was eight days long. It was usual for me as my periods will last 8-10 days. I am 19 and I first started to have my periods eight years ago, and I am not sexually active. I also have painful cramps again (I have cramps in the first couple of days of my period most of the time). This is the second day of bleeding and although it is a heavy flow, it is not as heavy as a regular period. But I am concerned because of the cramps and constant bleeding.

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

It might be hormonal imbalance, drugs effects on it, illness, medications, sudden weight gain or weight loss, contraceptive. If you are sure that you have any sexual activity then it is better to have one local examination by gynecology specialist and have a pelvic scan, thyroid function test, complete blood count, pap smear, sex hormones test on day two of periods.

In the case of a history of sex, you need to check pregnancy status by serum beta hCG in case of a positive pregnancy test, and you need urgent detailed evaluation. If there is no sex issue, the examination needs to be done soon. Have tablet Ponstan 500 (Mefenamic acid) mg 8 hours once and tablet Tranexamic acid 500 mg 8 hours once for three days to reduce bleeding. You can have combined oral contraceptive pills for three cycles to regulate periods. Have a balanced diet with more fruits and vegetables. Iron supplements as well.

Hormonal, local.

Scan, CBC (complete blood count), TFTs (thyroid function test), sex hormones.

I have irregular heavy bleeding. Is something wrong with my uterus?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am an 18 year old female. I had my normal period last week and it lasted for 7 days. Then three days after this it started again and was really heavy.This happens almost every month. Is something wrong with my uterus?  Read Full »

I have had cramps and brown or slightly red discharge, but no real periods. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 43 year old female. I am thin build and have no health issues. I am a non-smoker and non-drinker. I do not have kids and not sexually active for the past 15 years. I had my hormone levels checked four months ago. The report showed no menopause and thyroid was fine. My two recent ...  Read Full »

Does taking Krimson cause heavy bleeding?

Query: Hello doctor,I have PCOS and I visited a dermatologist for acne and hirsutism profile. She suggested me Krimson 35 for 21 days and Aldactone 50 for three months. I am on my fourth day of my periods and my bleeding had reduced but when I consumed Krimson 35 before going to sleep my bleeding increased...  Read Full »