Q. My period is heavy after taking ECP in this cycle. Why?

Dr. Eeshani Dutta
Published on Jan 16, 2019

I had sex a week prior to my period and took EC pills immediately. I took a blood test the following week and it detected negative. On a day after my period, I woke up with a full pad and the blood was red with little clots and I washed up and changed so the second was almost filled up too. On the second day the flow was quite scanty with cramps. Today is the third day, my pad was filled and I saw clots and normal period tissue discharges, but there is no blood flow tonight. I am having a slight headache although I had a stressful day, but I am scared and worried. Could it be implantation bleeding?

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Welcome to iclinig.com.

Considering your periods to be regular in general, you had intercourse in a safe period. Secondly, you also took an emergency contraceptive pill and took a blood test to rule out pregnancy. There are nil chances of pregnancy.

Your heavy periods are due to the EC (which contain high dose of progesterone) side effect. It should wane off gradually.

You also have a chance of the next period to be a bit irregular and heavy.

Is it advisable to go for copper-T for hormonal imbalance and menstrual disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, My sister was experiencing irregular periods and sometimes bleeding was heavy during the menstrual period. We consulted a gynecologist. She suggested taking pelvis scan where they observed that endometrium line became thick. They informed that it was due to hormonal imbalance. Later w...  Read Full »

Why do I feel vomiting sensation after having a contraceptive pill?

Query: Hi doctor, I have taken morning after pill after having unprotected sex on my 1st day of periods. Feeling vomiting sensation, but there is no vomit happening. Please help me.  Read Full »

Does taking Krimson cause heavy bleeding?

Query: Hello doctor,I have PCOS and I visited a dermatologist for acne and hirsutism profile. She suggested me Krimson 35 for 21 days and Aldactone 50 for three months. I am on my fourth day of my periods and my bleeding had reduced but when I consumed Krimson 35 before going to sleep my bleeding increased...  Read Full »