Q. My period is heavy after taking ECP in this cycle. Why?

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

I had sex a week prior to my period and took EC pills immediately. I took a blood test the following week and it detected negative. On a day after my period, I woke up with a full pad and the blood was red with little clots and I washed up and changed so the second was almost filled up too. On the second day the flow was quite scanty with cramps. Today is the third day, my pad was filled and I saw clots and normal period tissue discharges, but there is no blood flow tonight. I am having a slight headache although I had a stressful day, but I am scared and worried. Could it be implantation bleeding?

#

Welcome to iclinig.com.

Considering your periods to be regular in general, you had intercourse in a safe period. Secondly, you also took an emergency contraceptive pill and took a blood test to rule out pregnancy. There are nil chances of pregnancy.

Your heavy periods are due to the EC (which contain high dose of progesterone) side effect. It should wane off gradually.

You also have a chance of the next period to be a bit irregular and heavy.

|