HomeAnswersObstetrics and Gynecologyheavy bleedingI have heavy period-like bleeding after having spotting for three months. Please suggest.

What could cause heavy bleeding and spotting?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At November 11, 2023
Reviewed AtDecember 11, 2023

Patient's Query

I have been having spotting for about three months and now I am bleeding a lot. It looks like a period but it would be a week early if it were. My odor had also changed. Kindly suggest.

Answered by Dr. Sangeeta Milap

I will help you as much as I can.

Patient's Query

Thank you for your quick response and for your help. My periods have been regular on a 28-day cycle. The start of my last period was last month. I am attaching the report from the ultrasound. Please let me know if you have any other questions or need any other additional information or suggestions.

Answered by Dr. Sangeeta Milap

You should get checked up by a gynecologist and an endometrial biopsy should be taken and sent for histopathology. Also, let me know what your pap smear report is. To reduce bleeding you can take Etosys (Tranexamic acid and Ethamsylate) tablets twice to thrice a day for five to seven days. Along with a hematinic preparation Orofer XT (Folic acid and Ferrous Ascorbate) once a day as you are losing blood. Now the cause of bleeding could be hormonal imbalance but cancer has to be ruled out. So Pap smear, MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) pelvis, and an endometrial biopsy by a gynecologist would rule out cancer. Also, you need to get blood tests like- a complete hemogram, serum LH (Luteinizing hormone), FSH (follicle stimulating hormone), serum testosterone, serum prolactin, thyroid function tests, and coagulation profile. Get admitted, evaluated, and start treatment for this prolonged bleeding. I hope you find it helpful.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Sangeeta Milap
Dr. Sangeeta Milap

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Obstetrics and Gynecology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy