Q. My 10 year old boy's height is only 125 cm. How to increase his height?

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh
Published on Nov 28, 2019

My son is 10 years old. But his height is a great concern for me as he is only 125 cm and weighs about 27.3 kg. Recently he got an x-ray of his hands to know his bone age. The x-ray revealed that it is 9.4. Please comment.

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

Child Health Paediatrics Pediatric Allergy/Asthma Specialist
#

I do not think you should be worried off as he is still 10 years old and has still more years left for growth. Generally, height is a genetically programmed component, it depends on both parents height. You can calculate the expected height of your child with a formula for mid-parental height. I agree he is below the normal height level for his age, you can consult an endocrinologist and get him evaluated. Meanwhile, encourage him to participate in sports and do stretching exercises. Avoid carrying heavy school bags, definitely he will start gaining height. There is much variation in growth from child to child, few have fast growth in initial years, and few have in later years but before attaining 18-21 years.

| 

The parent's height are 5 feet 6 inches and 5 feet respectively. Then what will be his average height?

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

#

According to the formula we follow your child's target height would be 5.56 inches and plus or minus 4-8 cm. That means he would go up to 170 cm, right now he is 125 cm and still there is scope for growth.

| 

From parents' height please suggest the probable height that can be attained.

Query: Hello doctor,My sister is 14 years old. She is 4 feet 10 (148cm) and weighs 77 pounds (35 kg). She started her period when she was 12. She grew 12 cm from 10 to 12 years and 5 cm from 12 to 13. However, she stopped growing from 13 to 14. Our mother is 5 feet 2 (157 cm) and our father is 5 feet 8 (17...  Read Full »

The scan says my baby's growth is 10 days behind its age. Please advise.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 35 year old female. I am 22 weeks and two days pregnant and was told at my last scan that the baby is about 10 days behind in size. All the other readings were normal, and the growth of the brain was normal for the gestational age. We are not very tall people. My husband is 5 feet...  Read Full »

Are there any clinically proven medicines to increase the height in adults?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 23. I want to increase my height. Is there any medicine for it? I see a lot of advertisements about it. But, are there any clinically proven methods?  Read Full »