Q. How can I attain appropriate height and weight for my age?

Dr. Vidhi Hareshbhai Talati
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 09, 2019

I am 20 years old. My weight is 53 kg and height is 167 cm. I look small for my age. There is no appropriate growth. Can you suggest any medication or supplement for this?

#

I have gone through your history and I would like to suggest you some natural way to increase your body growth. There are many factors that affect the body height and weight such as gender, age, genetics, lifestyle, diet, etc.

If there is no weight gain despite eating a calorie rich food, then you should be investigated for a malabsorption syndrome. It is a condition which will prevent absorption of nutrient from food into the body.

Your weight is also determined by genetic factors. If you have very slim parents then you too will be slim. I am happy that you are very concerned about your health. It is known that 7,700 calories will put on as 1 kg in weight. You should increase the physical activity as well as your routine diet to increase weight. Dip handful of whole grains (black grams, peas, peanuts and pulses) in a cup of water overnight and eat. Take curd with fat twice a day.

Increase the intake of carbohydrate like rice and bread in your food but do not have at late night. You can take cereals, milk and egg for breakfast. I suggest you to start exercise with adequate protein intake. This will help your muscles to build and gain weight. Start with a jog and then mild exercise like cardio, pushups, cycling and swimming. Try out moderate exercises and not the high intensity ones. Along with it have a protein-rich diet including milk, cottage cheese, banana, egg whites and lean meat.

Slowly increase your calorie intake by 500 calories every week up to 2000 calories. Have a good amount of water of around 2 liters per day. Do not consume fatty food. It will increase fat deposition in your body and will make you obese. Try this natural way instead of any medication for weight gain.

For further information consult a dietician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dietician

|