Q. Is it possible to grow taller with HGH therapy?

Dr. Swaraj S W

Is it possible to grow taller with HGH therapy? I am so extremely insecure about my height. I am 5'10" and I realize that is not that short. My past two girlfriends have broken up with me and mentioned my height as a reason. I realize it sounds ridiculous to other people, but I am worried. I really need some way to get just an extra 2 inches.

Do you have a question on Height Growth or Growth Hormone Therapy?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Swaraj S W

MBBS., MD MEDICINE., FELLOWSHIP IN DIABETES AND ENDOCRINOLOGY., SENIOR RESIDENCY DIABETES AND ENDOCRINOLOGY
Diabetology Endocrinology

• Height is something that is determined by genes.
  • Yes, there are medicines for increasing height, but it should be used only if you are found to be having growth hormone deficiency.
  • I would want to ask you a few questions. What is your mother's and father's height? What was your mode of delivery?
  • Did you have any problem with growing up these years? Do you have any medical condition for which you were hospitalized and was treated?
  • Other than your height, what other issues you have currently? Have you developed pubic hair?
  • Have you had a sexual relationship with your ex girlfriends?

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

My mom is 5'5" and my father was 6'0". I born through natural delivery, but with forceps. I have not had many problems while growing up other than acne. I have no other issues other than height. Yes, I have developed public hair. Yes, they were all sexual relationships.

Dr. Swaraj S W

Diabetology Endocrinology

• Usually, a person will grow either 4 to 6 cm taller or shorter than parents. At your current height, you have achieved the MPH, which is mid-parental height.
  • You may end up with growing another two inches, but that is not a guarantee. You have attained the height you ought to and anything more than this shall be a good bonus.
  • You do not have any medical history and you are having sexual relations with no problems. So, I would suggest you should not worry about your height anymore.
  • As I said, height is genetically determined. Growth hormone replacement is not indicated in your case.

For further information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

Why is a 10-year-old kid gaining more weight?
Query: Hello doctor, My son is 10 years 5 months old and is gaining weight. I feel it is more than normal. Thyroid test has been done. He is fully healthy and has food normally.  Read Full »
Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand all your concerns. I have checked the attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The values point to the state of hypothyroidism. Please revise with me if he has any symptoms like cold intolerance, constipation, low heartbeats or ove...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now