Q. My sister has delayed growth for her 15 years of age. What should be done to improve her growth?

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha

My sister is 15 years old. She is having a problem with growth. She is not growing even a single cm from 1 year. I am too scared about her future. She is only 150 cm now. Many advised her to do skipping, swimming, cycling, etc. Though she is doing skipping, it does not help much. I just need some scientific help. Please help me out. I am scared of her growth.

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

Good day. Thanks for your query.

I am afraid that I do not have good news for you.

In your sister's age, it is not possible to increase height of about 2 or 3 inches with any medications. The growth plates in the bones close after 13 - 15 years of age in females and no increase in height possible.

Growth plates are the areas of new bone growth in children and teens. They are made up of cartilage cartilage, a rubbery, and flexible material. For instance, the nose is made of cartilage. As kids grow, the growth plates harden into solid bone. A growth plate that has completely hardened into solid bone is a closed growth plate. After a growth plate closes, the bones are no longer growing.

Growth plates usually close near the end of puberty. For girls, this usually is when they are around 13 - 15 years old and for boys, it is when they are about 15 - 17 years old.

What is the height of your father and mother? Your sister may have an average height of both of them.

Another option is limb lengthening surgery. Thanks.

| 

Is it normal for a 11 months old baby to be in the same weight for about four months?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby girl is 11 months old. At the time of birth, her weight is 2.25 kg. After six Months she weighs 6 Kg. For four months, she is maintaining the same weight i.e. 6.5 kg. Except for this no other adverse symptoms are observed. Baby is very active, eating all foods ( taking less mi...  Read Full »

When is an MRI Necessary for Low Back Pain or Neck Pain?

Article Overview: The decision of when to do an MRI for patients with low back or neck pain depends upon assessing the risk of a serious condition being present as revealed by warning symptoms in the history or signs in the physical examination. Read Article

Dr. Tony Magana
Spine Health Specialist

How does an MRI Machine Work? Unlike traditional x-rays or computerized axial tomography otherwise known as CT Scan, MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) does not use any radiation and thus as far as scientifically known, it is much safer than x-rays. The patient is placed in a very strong magnetic fie...  Read Article

Can knee and pelvic x-ray help to check, whether human growth hormone(HGH) will work for me?

Query: Dear Doctor, I have attached images of the latest x-ray imaging (attachment removed to protect user identity). I have taken this x-ray to determine my bone age, reason is that I had planned on using growth hormone therapy to help me grow taller. I was told that these bone age imaging of the wrist is...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now