Q. Why am I not growing taller?

Dr. Mashfika N Alam
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 01, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jun 28, 2019

I am a 17-year-old girl and I weigh 60 kg. I am 4 feet 9 inches tall. I think I am not growing since I was 13 years old and my mom is a few inches taller and my dad is 6 feet. I have not taken any medication for this. Please help.

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

You seem to have gained a lot of weight for your age. This is one of the major reason for not growing taller.

Children who are overweight are often seen to stop growing taller earlier than others and this is particularly true for girls.

Also, you may have acquired your mother's genes in terms of height.

The good part is you still have a few years to go before you stop attaining height.

You should see a dietician for a protein-rich diet and you must lose weight.

Also get a lot of exercises including stretching exercises and also skipping.

Yoga can do wonders too if done properly.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

| 

My lower back hurts a lot. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I have hurt my lower back assumably while pushing a full set of drawers, around four to five months ago. I was in physiotherapy, but I have been discharged and I am waiting to see a specialist. I have been told that it may be an inflammatory problem. My skin is extremely sensitive in my l...  Read Full »

Apart from anti-inflammatory medicine, what should I do for plantar fasciitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis. I am having swollen feet despite taking anti-inflammatory medications. Please help.  Read Full »

What is Obesity? Why People Become Over-Weight?

Article Overview: Obesity is a ‘silent epidemic’. This article tells about how to find if you have obesity and the reasons for it. Read Article

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Who is Considered as An Obese Person? An Obese person is one who has too much body fat and thus has a negative effect on their health. A person is considered obese when they have a weight over 20% of their ideal body weight. On the other hand, one may consider body mass index. Body mass index, ...  Read Article

Ask a Family Physician Now