Q. Can I increase my height with growth hormone therapy?

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

My height is 174 cm. My legs look small, and I think because of that, I am not tall. I want growth hormone therapy. I have lost some muscles in the gym, and my Igf level is 139 ng/ml. I am obese, with a weight of 96 kg. Please help.

#

I can understand your concern.

The first thing to note is your IGF (insulin-growth-factor) is less than average for your age. However, multiple factors affect its levels in the body, including workouts in the gym. If you have given your sample immediately after the gym, it may show a little lower than normal in your body.

The other thing is your BMI (body mass index). Your BMI is almost 32, which is class I obesity. I am sure you are hitting the gym to reduce your weight to acceptable levels. Note that if you are looking at increasing your height, growth hormones are not the right options. After puberty and after say, 17-18 years of age, height will not increase further as bones' growth plates will be closed by then. Growth hormones have multiple effects on the body. They can increase the size of almost every organ in the body, including a very coarse appearance (of face and body). They will further add to your weight and thus increasing BMI.

The height of an individual depends on constitutional factors. I mean the heights of your parents. Some people will have more height of the upper part of the body and others lower part of the body (legs). In your case, your upper part of the body is longer than the lower part. This is natural and cannot be altered. If you are anyone suggesting that it can be altered with medications, you are misguided and misled.

My honest suggestion is to work out under a trainer and consult a dietician to bring your BMI around 25, which is pretty much possible. I am sure it will change the outlook of your body. This is my sincere suggestion. As said earlier, growth hormone therapy will not help you in any way but add to your problems (weight).

|