Q. Can I increase my height with growth hormone therapy?

Answered by
Dr. Nagaraj Patil
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 18, 2020

Hello doctor,

My height is 174 cm. My legs look small, and I think because of that, I am not tall. I want growth hormone therapy. I have lost some muscles in the gym, and my Igf level is 139 ng/ml. I am obese, with a weight of 96 kg. Please help.



Welcome to

I can understand your concern.

The first thing to note is your IGF (insulin-growth-factor) is less than average for your age. However, multiple factors affect its levels in the body, including workouts in the gym. If you have given your sample immediately after the gym, it may show a little lower than normal in your body.

The other thing is your BMI (body mass index). Your BMI is almost 32, which is class I obesity. I am sure you are hitting the gym to reduce your weight to acceptable levels. Note that if you are looking at increasing your height, growth hormones are not the right options. After puberty and after say, 17-18 years of age, height will not increase further as bones' growth plates will be closed by then. Growth hormones have multiple effects on the body. They can increase the size of almost every organ in the body, including a very coarse appearance (of face and body). They will further add to your weight and thus increasing BMI.

The height of an individual depends on constitutional factors. I mean the heights of your parents. Some people will have more height of the upper part of the body and others lower part of the body (legs). In your case, your upper part of the body is longer than the lower part. This is natural and cannot be altered. If you are anyone suggesting that it can be altered with medications, you are misguided and misled.

My honest suggestion is to work out under a trainer and consult a dietician to bring your BMI around 25, which is pretty much possible. I am sure it will change the outlook of your body. This is my sincere suggestion. As said earlier, growth hormone therapy will not help you in any way but add to your problems (weight).

I hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
What can cause hyperhidrosis?

Acromegaly - Another random blood test for IGF1 (Insulin-like growth factors) rules out this condition in most cases ... Hyperhidrosis or excessive sweating could be due to endocrine or hormone ...   Read full

Can knee and pelvic x-ray help to check, whether human growth hormone(HGH) will work for me?

Hi doctor,I am 28 years old. I have a habit of watching porn. To me, I see it as real. I feel low and regret for my activity.   Read full

Height Growth and Homoeopathy - Myths and Facts

.. written to remove the wrong information about height growth and to save the general population from fraudulent medicines and the harmful effects of experimentation .. ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Alzheimer's Disease - an Overview
Alzheimer's is a neurodegenerative condition that can seriously hamper one's day to day activities and quality of life. ...  Read more»
My father is experiencing hospital delirium after ankle surgery. Please help.
Hi doctor, I am concerned about drug interaction for my father. He is experiencing hospital delirium after surgery. My ...  Read more»
Is there a chance for dengue reattack in the same season?
Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with dengue towards the end of last month. I was hospitalized for five days. I went through...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.