Q. Is there any hormone therapy to increase my height?

Dr. Kartik Revanappa Kumbhar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am a 22-year-old male. Is there any hormone therapy to increase my height? If yes, then what will be the estimated cost?

#

Usually, by this age, all the epiphyses (area of bone where growth occurs) will have fused with almost no growth potential. Hence hormones may not work. To see whether the epiphyses have fused or not, you may have to get x-rays of your legs. But then again, it is almost sure that they will be fused. In that case, the only way to increase height would be surgical. Ilizarov technique is a process of lengthening of a limb, osteotomising (making a cut in the bone, creating an artificial epiphysis), and then distracting this osteotomised area to the desired length. You can attain up to 10 to 15 cm of additional height. However, it takes some time. And it involves a lot of patience from the patient.

Thank you, doctor, for your reply.

What will be the estimated cost for Ilizarov technique surgery?

And do I need bed rest for this surgery?

#

The estimated cost of the Ilizarov technique varies from hospital to hospital. You may not require any strict bed rest following the surgery. You will be ambulant. You should, however, understand that any surgical procedure will be associated with certain risks and complications. And unlike a surgical procedure done in case you have a problem or disease, for example, a fracture, we cannot weigh the risks and benefits of the procedure. Because if not operated upon, you will not have any troubles at all, and if operated upon, you will benefit from undertaking risks. Hence, the balance is inclined towards risk.

|