Q. My brother's illness bothers me a lot. I am deprived of sleep. Please help.

Dr. Arooj Najmussaqib
Published on Aug 02, 2014 and last reviewed on: Oct 12, 2018

I have a brother who is sick since a month. I am feeling very helpless without him and I am deprived of sleep. I keep thinking about him the whole day. How can I overcome this situation?

Dr. Arooj Najmussaqib

Psychologist/ Counsellor
#

The pain of near ones makes you feel helpless. This weakens your strength somehow.

Symptoms like lack of sleep, disturbance, and tension occur when you feel stressed for any reason. But you have to be strong for your brother.

If you feel low, he will become worse and lose his willpower to fight the illness.

Follow these to be mentally strong:

1. Have a healthy and good diet for yourself.
  2. Take good care of yourself.
  3. Take a walk on daily basis for easing out.
  4. Keep sharing thoughts with someone, about how you feel.

Unless you make yourself equipped with strength, it will not be beneficial for your loved ones.

For a psychological counselling, consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/online-psychiatrist-psychotherapy-counseling

I wake up coughing at night and swallow water to relieve this. Please advise.

Query: Hi doctor, I always wake up coughing during the night. And when I eat, I get discomfort like trapped wind in my esophagus and have to swallow water hard to relieve this. I tested negative for H. pylori and currently on Lansoprazole which is not improving my symptoms much.  Read Full »

Does stress affect my menstrual bleeding?

Query: Hello doctor, I consulted with you the last time whether I can be pregnant as I had sex with my partner on the eighth day of my period and we used condoms as protection. You told that I would not get pregnant. Today I am on the fifth day of my period. On the first two days, the bleeding was no...  Read Full »

What is the reason for having negative thoughts and vivid dreams?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 56 years old. He is having negative thoughts and talks about deaths, has a vivid dream with severe sleepiness. He is not enjoying anything which he enjoyed before. He has short-term memory loss. He has fatigue with increased appetite. He has little issue in breathing during ...  Read Full »