Q. Should I get my 6-inch hematoma treated immediately or give time for it to subside?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Infanteena Marily

I am a 47-year-old female, and I weigh 140 Ibs. The only medications I am currently taking are birth control pills and the tablet Wellbutrin. Four days ago, I injured my thigh when climbing onto a boat. A wave knocked a protruding metal knob into my thigh. It has developed a hematoma of about 6 inches in diameter and is spreading down the side of my thigh. It is excruciating and causes me to walk with a limp. Should I have it looked at or give it time? I am abroad, and in a few days, I will be going home and can wait until I get home. Unless it is suggested, I see someone here sooner. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.

#

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concern. You have been suffering from painful hematoma and difficulty walking due to trauma on your thigh.

According to the picture provided here, you are suffering from hematoma with bruises due to trauma. In addition, local soft tissue inflammation may cause the affected area swelling, pain, and redness.

To reduce inflammation, you can apply hot compresses two to three times daily on your affected area, which will help to subside your inflammation and pain. You can also apply ice to your hematoma.

I suggest NSAIDS like tablet Ibuprofen, tablet Naproxen or tablet Aceclofenac to reduce inflammation and relieve soreness or pain. In addition, I suggest using capsule Flucloxacillin orally and applying topical painkiller cream on your affected area for soft tissue swelling. It will take time, like 7 to 10 days, to subside the hematoma and inflammation. For that reason, take a rest for 7 to 10 days, because any movement can enhance soreness.

Take care. In case of any other query, knock me.

|