Q. Why is there blood in the urine when I ejaculate?

Dr. Samer S J Altawil
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

My boyfriend, who is currently living abroad, has found blood in his urine and ejaculate a couple of months ago, he then got tested for any STDs, but everything was negative then he went to a doctor he got antibiotics prescribed which seemed to help. But now the issue is back and worse, he wakes up in the morning, and there is already blood. It is also more compared to the beginnings his after also hurt sometimes. He is 24 years old, and I think he is 185 or 190cm tall and a relatively of normal weight.

#

Thanks for consulting us.

This condition is called hematospermia, and it is mostly inflammatory due to infection in the prostate or seminal vesicles and rarely due to stone in the prostate. To confirm the diagnosis, we will need an ultrasound for the prostate and seminal vesicles. And we need semen for culture. Treatment can be started after investigations to choose the accurate antibiotics as the antibiotic course will be 4 to 6 weeks. If ultrasound is not possible due to the COVID situation, then you can start Ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice daily for six weeks. Please update me about your condition, and if you have any more queries, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards.

|