HomeAnswersObstetrics and GynecologyhematuriaI have been experiencing painful urination accompanied by blood. Is it due to birth control pills?

Can birth control pills cause urinary tract problems when taken for more than six months?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At September 22, 2023
Reviewed AtDecember 1, 2023

Patient's Query

Can birth control pills cause urinary tract problems when taken for more than six months? I am in my last week with the medications and I have been experiencing painful urination accompanied by blood. It just started three days ago and is still present. Although, there are times during the day when I pee and there is no pain present but just blood. I had a general checkup in June and the results came back to everything being negative. What could be the problem? I would like to know before I actually go to see a doctor.

I can understand your concern. The contraceptive pills will not cause UTI (urinary tract infection) but there is a possibility that intercourse may cause it or vaginal infection if proper hygiene is not maintained. The blood in urine could be because of infection or there could be ureteric stone. I would suggest you get a USG (ultrasonogram) abdomen, a pelvis scan, and a urine routine microscopy test done.

,

I hope this helps you.

Regards

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Sanap Sneha Umrao
Dr. Sanap Sneha Umrao

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Obstetrics and Gynecology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy