Hemoglobin D Trait

How is the prognosis of a child with abnormal hemoglobin pattern?

Query: Hi doctor, My friend is going to adopt a 6 months old female child. Certain routine tests were performed on the child. I have attached the reports for your reference. The Hb electrophoresis for thalassemia screening is showing an abnormal hemoglobin pattern. The treating pediatrician is not sure abo...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H. Muddegowda

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query and attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows: Looking at the report of HbD trait (hemoglobin D), the prognosis is excellent. The child will be very rarely transfusion dependent and mostly asymptomatic. ...  Read Full »

Is there a chance of passing of hemoglobin D trait from parent to children?

Query: Hello doctor, I have haemoglobin D traits. What can I do, so that my child does not have that problem? I have done abnormal stuudies of HPCL.  Read Full »

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

Answer: Hello, Welcome to the icliniq.com. I have checked the attached report. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is suggestive of Hb D (hemoglobin D) trait. It can get transmitted in your future child if you have that problem. You cannot prevent trait transmission. In fact HB D trait ...  Read Full »