Q. I am having hemoglobin D trait. How to prevent passing it to my child?

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

I have haemoglobin D traits. What can I do, so that my child does not have that problem? I have done abnormal stuudies of HPCL.

#

Welcome to the icliniq.com. I have checked the attached report. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

It is suggestive of Hb D (hemoglobin D) trait. It can get transmitted in your future child if you have that problem. You cannot prevent trait transmission. In fact HB D trait is not the major hemolytic anemia and you may need not worry about that.

However, if your wife having Hb D trait then the child can have Hb D homozygous disease form. So you can investigate your wife for hemoglobinopathy. So, do not worry about Hb D trait. The patient usually does not have much symptoms and does not need a regular blood transfusion.

I have attached my wife's report. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

She has beta-thalassemia trait (beta-thalassemia minor). What can we do so that our child has not got this problem? Can we go for pregnancy? Hemoglobin level of my wife is 9.7 g/dL. Please tell me when we can plan for pregnancy?

#

Welcome back to the icliniq.com.

Noted you are having delta thalassemia and your wife having beta-thalassemia. Herewith I will explain your possible inheritance for your child.

These hemoglobinopathies are autosomal recessive type hemolytic anemia. So your child can have a 25% chance of adult normal hemoglobin, 50% chance of AD trait or AB trait and 25% chance of Hb D and beta-thalassemia homozygous combination form.

In the first three inheritance, there is no problem at all. But if your child develops Hb D and beta-thalassemia homozygous combination form then your child can have mild hemolytic anemia and spleen enlargement. But it is not much harmful. It is not as severe as that of beta-thalassemia major child.

You can plan amniocentesis or cordocentesis like procedure when the fetus is in mother womb to check whether he or she has homozygous Hb D and beta-thalassemia. You can plan a pregnancy. Do not worry. Even if your child has Hb D and beta-thalassemia homozygous, it will not much harmful.

I worry about my hemoglobin level. For pregnancy is my hemoglobin level is fine or not? My wife's hemoglobin level is only 9.7 g/dL.

#

For low hemoglobin level, ferrous ascorbate iron tablet can be prescribed.

Is 9.7 g/dL hemoglobin sufficient for pregnancy or not?

#

It is advisable to keep the hemoglobin level above 10 g/dL for normal pregnancy and delivery. You can consult your gynecologist for getting prescription of iron tablet.

Thanks you doctor,

Is there any medicine for beta thalassemia trait and haemoglobin D trait?

#

There is no specific medicine to cure thalassemia trait. The treatment include supportive care like iron tablets and folic acid.

Sir any other test required before planning pregnancy? sir please provide some tips so that my child has no problem that me and my wife have
# No other test required.

Your child can have 25% chance of acquiring homozygous beta thalassemia and HB D. In that case patient can have mild hemolytic anemia.

Kindly read my whole answers. So that you will get my point.

Don't worry. Homozygous HB D and beta thalassemia is not dangerous one as compare to thalassemia major disease

Hope I have answered your question

Let me know if I can assist you further

Regards

|