ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Q. I am having hemoglobin D trait. How to prevent passing it to my child?

Answered by
Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 13, 2019

Hello doctor,

I have haemoglobin D traits. What can I do, so that my child does not have that problem? I have done abnormal stuudies of HPCL.

ADVERTISEMENT
#

Hello,

Welcome to the icliniq.com. I have checked the attached report. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

It is suggestive of Hb D (hemoglobin D) trait. It can get transmitted in your future child if you have that problem. You cannot prevent trait transmission. In fact HB D trait is not the major hemolytic anemia and you may need not worry about that.

However, if your wife having Hb D trait then the child can have Hb D homozygous disease form. So you can investigate your wife for hemoglobinopathy. So, do not worry about Hb D trait. The patient usually does not have much symptoms and does not need a regular blood transfusion.

I hope this helps.

Thank you doctor,

I have attached my wife's report. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

She has beta-thalassemia trait (beta-thalassemia minor). What can we do so that our child has not got this problem? Can we go for pregnancy? Hemoglobin level of my wife is 9.7 g/dL. Please tell me when we can plan for pregnancy?

#

Hello,

Welcome back to the icliniq.com.

Noted you are having delta thalassemia and your wife having beta-thalassemia. Herewith I will explain your possible inheritance for your child.

These hemoglobinopathies are autosomal recessive type hemolytic anemia. So your child can have a 25% chance of adult normal hemoglobin, 50% chance of AD trait or AB trait and 25% chance of Hb D and beta-thalassemia homozygous combination form.

In the first three inheritance, there is no problem at all. But if your child develops Hb D and beta-thalassemia homozygous combination form then your child can have mild hemolytic anemia and spleen enlargement. But it is not much harmful. It is not as severe as that of beta-thalassemia major child.

You can plan amniocentesis or cordocentesis like procedure when the fetus is in mother womb to check whether he or she has homozygous Hb D and beta-thalassemia. You can plan a pregnancy. Do not worry. Even if your child has Hb D and beta-thalassemia homozygous, it will not much harmful.

I hope this helps.

Thank you doctor,

I worry about my hemoglobin level. For pregnancy is my hemoglobin level is fine or not? My wife's hemoglobin level is only 9.7 g/dL.

#

Hello,

Welcome back to icliniq.com.

For low hemoglobin level, ferrous ascorbate iron tablet can be prescribed.

I hope this helps.

Thank you doctor,

Is 9.7 g/dL hemoglobin sufficient for pregnancy or not?

#

Hello,

Welcome back to icliniq.com.

It is advisable to keep the hemoglobin level above 10 g/dL for normal pregnancy and delivery. You can consult your gynecologist for getting prescription of iron tablet.

Thanks you doctor,

Is there any medicine for beta thalassemia trait and haemoglobin D trait?

#

Hi,

Welcome back to icliniq.com.

There is no specific medicine to cure thalassemia trait. The treatment include supportive care like iron tablets and folic acid.

Sir any other test required before planning pregnancy? sir please provide some tips so that my child has no problem that me and my wife have
# No other test required.

Your child can have 25% chance of acquiring homozygous beta thalassemia and HB D. In that case patient can have mild hemolytic anemia.

Kindly read my whole answers. So that you will get my point.

Don't worry. Homozygous HB D and beta thalassemia is not dangerous one as compare to thalassemia major disease

Hope I have answered your question

Let me know if I can assist you further

Regards

Was this answer helpful?

 | 

Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!



Related Questions:
I have anemia with low ferritin level. Can it be cured with diet and supplements?

You need to be given iron sucrose injections to replenish lost iron store and to improve hemoglobin level ...   Read full

Iron-Deficiency Anemia - Its Causes, Diagnosis, and Treatment

Diagnosis: CBC (Complete Blood Count) and PS (Peripheral Smear): These are the common mode of screening, it will show low hemoglobin levels and microcytic hypochromic RBC (red blood cell) ......   Read full

I have thalassemia minor. How to increase hemoglobin and decrease ferritin levels?

.. seen all your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Thalassemia is an inherited blood disorder characterized by abnormal hemoglobin production. I do not have to explain you much about thalassemia as your doctor might have told...   Read full

ADVERTISEMENT

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read


Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Hematologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.