Q. My father's hemoglobin has not increased because of iron deficiency. Kindly advice.

and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Jul 27, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jul 30, 2019

My dad has got iron deficiency from the past two years, and we came to know about last week because of that hemoglobin is not increasing. Please help.

Hematology Pathology
#

Welcome to the icliniq.com.

I have read your concern and below is my answer to your question. The attached report is showing hemoglobin level only 7.5 suggestive of moderate degree anemia (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It could be iron deficiency anemia. For such a low hemoglobin level, he needs to be given iron sucrose like injection according to weight. Then he needs to be shifted on iron tablets like Ferrous ascorbate.

If still no improvement than stool routine micro examination and occult blood test done for further work-up. GI (gastrointestinal) endoscopy also might need to be done to check for any tear leading mucosal bleeding if present in stomach or duodenum. If he has any clinical complaints than mention it. I hope I have answered your question. Let me know if you have any questions.

So if there is any bleeding then we would have to come to know by this time in either stool or urine. Am I correct?

Hematology Pathology
#

Hello.

Yes if there any bleeding from intestine or stomach than stool occult blood test will be positive in most of case. I hope I have answered your question.Let me know if I can assist you further.

I have painless bubbling sensation in my chest and it is rhythmic with my pulse. What could be the cause?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32-year-old female. I have a right sided bubbling sensation in my chest and that is rhythmic with my pulse. It started today while at rest. I have a history of endometriosis, sensitivities to NSAIDS (gastric ulcers), and iron deficiency anemia. It almost feels like wheezing, bu...  Read Full »

My hemoglobin levels are high. Do I need to worry?

Query: Hello doctor,My hemoglobin is 17.3, and total RBC is 6.32. The homocysteine is at 45.3. Is it normal or do I need to worry?  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now