Q. Hemorrhoids are affecting my mood very badly. How to manage?

Dr. Youness Tanani
Published on Dec 06, 2016

I had an eating disorder before 16 years. It stressed my health very severely for around 5 years. Now, I am 35 years old. Also, I suffer from hemorrhoids, which affect my mood very severely. I have social impairments as my emotions are no longer clean. This is really an important issue for me. With my doctor's advice, I tried laxatives such as Miralax and Lactulose. I found that most laxatives, try to draw water into the stools. I tried to eat lots of fiber and flax seeds. My opinion is that the fruit contains fiber and lots of water, so there would be no need to take laxatives as the water is already included. In my opinion, since the kidneys will simply filter the water out, it is difficult to get the water to really mix with the food in the gut. It is much better to eat food that already contains water. Also, I noticed that fruit does not have many calories and I lost 5 kg. Now, I am really in my ideal weight.

Today, I bought nut, nutella and peanut butter to have high calorie dense food. However, it was not easy, even to eat chocolate and nuts. Chocolate makes the stools sticky. Also, these snacks are very expensive and they have a lot of negative effects on health. How can I eat as much fruit as possible and still eat between 1800 and 2400 calories per day? I am 185 cm tall and currently only weighs 80 kg. It is also important for me to keep my weight. It is also extremely important for me to have good digestion and no long-term health consequences. Can you send me a list of healthy high calorie density food?

Dr. Youness Tanani

Nutritionist Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor
#

• For hemorrhoids, Tronolane (Pramoxine) is the best, if are external already. But, if are internal hemorrhoids, then need to follow another way of treatment.
  • Losing weight is normal in your case, because you are losing red blood cells by the hemorrhoids.
  • To my best knowledge, your mood gets mad and stressed because of the pain. If yes, then it is better start treating hemorrhoids.
  • But, for nutrition, I will suggest you follow the Mediterranean diet as it is best to gain weight.
  • Bean, potatoes and brown bread will help. Try to eat 6 meals instead of 3 with less portions of high value. Protein powder and soybean are good resources.

For further information consult a nutritionist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nutritionist

How to plan smaller sized meals?

Dr. Youness Tanani

#

Here are the best small size meals with high calories and not artificials.

• Olive oil of 100 mL a day is beneficial.
  • Almond granola - Rich of sugar and fat, especially with a high-calorie cereal, such as granola and you may be in trouble. Although considered a fiber-rich whole grain, commercially prepared granola with nuts has more than 500 calories per cup.
  • Avocado - It is the highest calorie fruit in existence. One whole avocado of any variety offers 325 calories and 30 g of fat. Nearly, all of the fat is mono-unsaturated, which is heart-healthy. Avocados are an excellent source of vitamin C and dietary fiber.
  • Peanuts - Peanuts are a legume and not a nut, despite the name. Like nuts, they are rich in calories and many nutrients. A half cup of dry roasted peanuts provides about 425 calories, making them calorically dense. On the plus side, peanuts are rich in iron and unsaturated fats.
  • Banana chips - They are not really a fruit, but a high calorie snack. While they are a good food source of nutrients such as manganese, potassium, magnesium and vitamin B6, a 3 ounce serving of banana chips offer nearly 450 calories and more than your entire day's limit for saturated fat.
  • Dried fruits - Naturally high in calories as the sugar content is high and the water is removed. For example, a half cup of chopped and pitted dates offers 251 calories, half cup of raisins over 217 calories and the same amount of dried figs offers 248 calories. All are rich in fiber and iron.
  • Also, soybean milk is good to build a mass and relax the psychology of human as my latest researches clinically proved this.
  • It is recommended to consume two capsules of turmeric three times a day to avoid gases and colon problems especially related to stress.

Your advice was really awesome. I have another question. One of my close family members suffers from diabetes and he is notably overweight. He cannot eat my fruit as sugar is incompatible with his disease. Can you tell me which low calorie food he could eat to feel full?

Dr. Youness Tanani

#

Glad that you finally find out the right way and satisfied.

• Overweight is a common thing with diabetes as they eat a lot. Yes, it is a good idea to eat things makes you feel full without increasing weight.
  • Firstly, I need to know the level of sugar. The best fruit for diabetics are low-calorie fruits, because these are not loaded with sugars.
  • Fruits with low glycemic Index (GI) are found to be good for diabetics. The glycemic index of a food refers to its effect on blood sugar levels. A high GI number is anywhere between 70 and 100 and low GI is anything under 50. White bread has a GI of 70.
  • The higher the rise in glucose in the bloodstream, the more insulin is produced to store it. Over time, this can lead to higher insulin levels that can result in inflammation, weight gain and insulin resistance. The end result can be the progression to type 2 diabetes.
  • Focus on lower glycemic index fruits like apples, pears, berries and citrus more than higher glycemic index fruits like melon, pineapple and raisins. Preferably fresh fruits may be eaten.
  • Diabetic patients should strictly avoid eating over-ripe fruits as they do more harm than good. However, dried fruits and canned fruits with no added sugars can also be given to diabetic patients.
  • Fruits in all these forms vary in the carbohydrate content, so portion size matters. Dried fruits may be served only in small quantities as compared to fresh or frozen fruits.
  • Fruits should be included in the regular meal plan to balance the consumption of carbohydrates, starch, dairy and proteins.
  1. Berries for antioxidants.
  2. Tart Cherries to fight Inflammation.
  3. Peaches for potassium.
  4. Apricots for fiber.
  5. Apples for vitamins. Vitamin A is a powerful antioxidant. It contains most of the water-soluble forms of vitamin B (Vitamin B1, B2, B3, B5, and B9), vitamin C, E and K.
  6. Oranges for vitamin C.
  7. Pears for vitamin K and fiber.
  • Above all, fig is the best source of sugar in diabetes. It has 107 calories per 100 g.

Certain amounts of fresh fruits, dried fruits and fruit juices can be included in the diet. Fruits are packed with minerals, vitamins, fibers as well as carbohydrates.

People suffering from diabetes can eat certain fruits that are low in calories and sugar content.

Revert back for further information to a nutritionist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nutritionist

Thank you very much doctor. You are awesome.

Dr. Youness Tanani

#

You are welcome. Please feel free to ask for further doubts.

For further doubts consult a nutritionist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nutritionist

How to gain weight?

Query: Hi doctor, I am very thin. I want to gain more mass and weight. For that I am consuming multivitamin tablets and protein powder, but no use. I have a doubt that whatever I am taking is not 100% digesting to supply that energy to my body? What do I do?  Read Full »

Lifestyle Modifications for Women's Health

Article Overview: Learn about simple lifestyle changes and healthy habits that can help a woman stay disease-free and enjoy life to the fullest. Read Article

Dr. Shakti Mishra
Fitness Expert

Women of today find it very difficult to juggle between their personal and professional life, especially if they are mothers. But, having two incomes at home has become a necessity rather than a luxury. Yes, it does feel very good to call oneself a working woman, but the working hours are taking a t...  Read Article

How to gain weight as I am underweight and more vulnerable to climate change?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 32 years old. I am underweight and my BMI is low (below 18). I do not have any other medical issues. But, I used to get vulnerable cold and cough to climate change.  Read Full »

Ask a Nutritionist Now