Q. I am 17-year-old, there is blood while passing stool, and I feel pain. What to do?

Dr. Utkarsh Sharma

My age is 17. What to do if blood is coming with stool and feeling pain when passing out stool? It is like there s a cut like something. What to do? Kindly guide me.

#

Anal fissure (cuts) are common in those suffering from constipation and hard stools. Do you feel any bulging as well while passing stools? You might be suffering from hemorrhoids (piles) as well. Even I have had my struggles with hemorrhoids, and I know the sight of blood after using the toilet always appears terrifying. But most of the time, it just appears worse than it actually is. Do not worry. Around 75% of people suffer from hemorrhoids at some point in life. Early hemorrhoids (initial grade) can be treated by healthy bowel habits and a healthy diet. What you should aim for is to get rid of constipation and maintain healthy bowel habits.

1) Do not strain. Always respond to nature's call.

2) Do not sit in the toilet for long hours.

3) Increase dietary fiber in your meals if you are constipated. Soluble fiber is in bananas, papaya, mango, etc.

4) Is your hemorrhoid lump always external, or does it appear during straining only? Take a sitz bath if the hemorrhoid is external and painful. (watch on the internet how to do it).

5) Walk for atleast 30 minutes regularly. It will help.

6) Avoid lifting heavyweights.

7) Avoid spicy food.

I suggest you use an ointment containing Allantoin, Phenylephrine, and Hydrocortisone. Apply it half an hour before a bowel movement. I hope this helps. Take care, and I hope you get well soon.

|