Q. I am an alcoholic and bulimic. What does my report suggest?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 13, 2020

I am a 23 year old female. I am bulimic for the past nine years and also suffering from anxiety and depression for the past five years. I like to drink alcohol a lot. I recently had a checkup and I have attached my test reports for your reference. I am just taking vitamin supplements. I have looked up all of these online. My doctor wants me to come back in and get an ultrasound of my liver. I need to know my possible diagnosis. Please guide

#

• Looking into your laboratory reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it appears that you are having hepatitis. It could be alcohol induced, viral or a combination of both.
  • The ultrasound will guide to rule out lesions in the liver.
  • It will also help us to see how sick the liver looks and also the spleen size, which can get enlarged in chronic liver disease.

1. Alcohol induced hepatitis.
2. Viral hepatitis versus fatty liver disease (NASH - nonalcoholic steatohepatitis).

1. Hepatitis B serological panel.
2. Hepatitis C virus antibody (HCV Ab).
3. Fibrosure (non-invasive test to check liver status).
4. Ultrasound of abdomen.
5. HIV test.

1. Avoid sharing razors with family and friends unless the viral hepatitis has been ruled out.
2. Please taper down your alcohol dose and try to quit. Do not abruptly discontinue it. Otherwise, you can go into withdrawal.
3. Safe sex is encouraged.

Revert back after the tests to an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|