Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. I am an alcoholic and bulimic. What does my report suggest?

Answered by
Dr. Sadaf Mustafa
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on May 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 13, 2020

Hello doctor,

I am a 23 year old female. I am bulimic for the past nine years and also suffering from anxiety and depression for the past five years. I like to drink alcohol a lot. I recently had a checkup and I have attached my test reports for your reference. I am just taking vitamin supplements. I have looked up all of these online. My doctor wants me to come back in and get an ultrasound of my liver. I need to know my possible diagnosis. Please guide

Dr. Sadaf Mustafa

General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome to

  • Looking into your laboratory reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it appears that you are having hepatitis. It could be alcohol induced, viral or a combination of both.
  • The ultrasound will guide to rule out lesions in the liver.
  • It will also help us to see how sick the liver looks and also the spleen size, which can get enlarged in chronic liver disease.

The Probable causes:

1. Alcohol induced hepatitis.
2. Viral hepatitis versus fatty liver disease (NASH - nonalcoholic steatohepatitis).

Investigations to be done:

1. Hepatitis B serological panel.
2. Hepatitis C virus antibody (HCV Ab).
3. Fibrosure (non-invasive test to check liver status).
4. Ultrasound of abdomen.
5. HIV test.

Preventive measures:

1. Avoid sharing razors with family and friends unless the viral hepatitis has been ruled out.
2. Please taper down your alcohol dose and try to quit. Do not abruptly discontinue it. Otherwise, you can go into withdrawal.
3. Safe sex is encouraged.

Regarding follow up:

Revert back after the tests to an internal medicine physician online.--->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
My Bilirubin total - 2.2, Bilirubin Direct - 1.5, SGPT - 4548, SGOT - 4153
I have frequent urination and severe pain in abdomen. Kindly advise.
What are the cons of lowering the legal drinking age?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Kindly explain about the AST and ALT levels in blood report.

Query: Hello doctor,I am 55 years old male, height 168 cm, and weight 74 kg. I do not drink or smoke. Presently, I am not under any medications. Previously, I took medicines for suspected acid reflux symptoms for six months but stopped since one year. I used to undergo comprehensive blood tests on a yearly...  Read Full »

After drinking beer, my brain works fast. How?

Query: Hi doctor, My brain is not working properly. I have very poor concentration power. I am taking a long time to learn any kind of things in comparison to others. When I drink beer, my brain will work very fast for two to three days and I can do much work easily. Please suggest the medicine to improve ...  Read Full »

Why does alcohol make me itch?

Query: Hi doctor, Whenever I drink alcohol, I am getting itchy in my scalp, face and behind the ears. What could the reason? Please explain.  Read Full »

Also Read

Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»
I was diagnosed with Celiac disease a year back. Can you suggest any medicine?
Having celiac fromnlast 10 year dignosis recently ayear ago since then i am gluten free still cant absorb food feeling w...  Read more»
My head is shivering from 20 days, and it feels like head trauma. What is the cause?
Hello sir, My head is shivering like anything , feeling like trauma is head. And its start anytime in a day and when s...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.