Q. I have a pimple like red bump above the mustache with lymph node enlargement. Is this HSV?

After shaving my face six days ago, I saw a big red bump on the right side of my nose above the mustache. At first, I thought it might be a pimple. Last week, I felt something wrong on my throat and visited a doctor. Doctor said lymph node inflammation and prescribed me Penicillin. Doctor did not ask me anything about that red bump in my mustache area at that time. I have been suffering from mild fever as well after my lymph inflammation. Right now I am worried again since the red bump on my mustache becomes large, and from two or three openings drains watery liquid when I tried to squeeze it. It is really painful and irritates a lot.

I am worried about HSV 1 since it is near my mouth. I am having mild fever and lymph infection. I am not in sexual contact for the last seven years. What is your suggestion? What might cause this problem?

#

Two broad differential diagnoses are folliculitis or HSV 1 (herpes simplex virus) infection (most likely).

I would want you to know that we all are exposed to HSV-1 and it could spread without sexual contact. It stays in the ganglion (nerve endings) and pops up when your immunity goes down. It is also known as fever blister.

My feeling is that since you were about to come down with the sore throat, which seems like strep throat, you had a reactivation of the HSV-1 and got these lesions. As you feel better they will subside, you may use Acyclovir if you want but usually, we treat the underlying cause and you are receiving the antibiotics for sore throat.

Please do not squeeze it. You can use any anti-inflammatory agent for pain and fever like Acetaminophen. You can also try topical steroids like Desonide.

| 

I am really worried now about my future. I know it will go away but it will reappear again. I read it online and my feeling is really devastating now. So I will carry this virus for my whole life. But my question is why this appears after shaving my face? It does not show yellow blisters as well. Anyway, I got this fever blister somehow. And I need to be really careful when contacting with someone.

#

I would suggest being careful while you shave to allow complete healing. HSV-1 is so common that most likely your future partner might already have it. It is the HSV-2 that we worry about which usually causes genital lesions.

| 

Why is there lymph node enlargement under chin and groin in a child?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-year-old female child has mild lymph node enlargement under the chin and groin. She had a fever. Her weight is 8 kg. Peripheral smear showed mild degree aniso-poikilocytosis. Her hemoglobin is 12. She has a minimal fullness of renal pelvic calyceal system (USG). Is there anything...  Read Full »

I have a painful bump with folliculitis below nipple. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 33-year-old obese male. About 1 and a half years ago, I had a painful folliculitis, right below the left nipple which was cured after taking some antibiotics. It had caused a tiny bump below the left nipple, which when touched hurt. Anyways, after taking antibiotics it got healed....  Read Full »

I have itchy scalp. Is it folliculitis?

Query: Hello doctor, I hope you will read it thoroughly and answer every query. I am a 30 years old male. It all started with itchy scalp ten months back this summer. But, I was not concerned much, since it was just itchy and some bumps like mosquito bites (not more than two to three) and some swelling as...  Read Full »