Q. What are the odds of contracting herpes sexually?

Dr. Neha Sud
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 22, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 05, 2021

I know a girl who may become sexually active with me told me that she has herpes. She has it for ten years and taking Valtrex every day. She told me that she did not had an outbreak for a very long time. I want to know the risks and the odds behind it if I decide to become sexually active with her. I am bound to get into this relationship for a longer time. I also got cold sores and I wondered whether it is the effect of it. Please suggest.

#

It depends on the type of herpes that your partner have whether it is in the genital or lips. The virus that causes it are different. This means that if your partner has genital herpes and if you have oral herpes, it does not make you immune to get genital herpes. So you need to be careful and use a protective barrier contraceptive and avoid sexual contact when there are active lesions on the genitalia. When you have active lesions on the lips, avoid kissing or sharing utensils, spoons, cups, and glasses. There are episodes of asymptomatic shedding in between and it cannot be predicted. You can have mild symptoms like burning while passing urine or itching. You can pick up the infection even when you are taking the above precautions but the chances will get reduced when you take care of it.

|