Q. What is the chance of progression of herpes infection to encephalitis?

Dr. Dilip Meena

I had unprotected sex with my partner about five months back. We both went for HIV tridot tests, VRDL tests, HBsAg tests after four months. All came back negative for both. Our medicine specialist did not advise herpes screening. We both have no lesions or bumps at all. Also, I am told herpes is an extremely simple condition, but I am worried about if it progresses to encephalitis. Also, the chances of false positives scare me for the tests. What do you suggest?

#

I understand that you are concerned. Routinely we advise HIV, HbsAg, HCV, and VDRL, and Herpes serology for sexually transmitted diseases.

Genital herpes is mostly caused by HSV 2 (herpes simplex virus) virus and oral herpes by HSV 1. In serology, the large population had past exposure to HSV 1, but HSV 2 is usually negative but can be positive in a small percentage of people. Generally, there is not much clinical significance of positive IgG HSV if no clinical lesions present. IgM indicates a recent infection.

Herpes encephalitis is usually seen in children and young adults and caused mostly by HSV1 and rarely ever by HSV 2 and sexually transmitted. Still, you can get it done HSV 1 and 2, IgG, and IgM and show me the reports.

My partner and I have no lesions or bumps at all. We visited a dermatologist, and he told us the tests are optional but can be skipped as well.

My question is, what is the possibility of herpes (in case I get) turning into herpes encephalitis in a person with a good immune system? And what about the false positive people complaint on HSV tests?

#

It is very rare with a good immune system. False-positive tests can occur due to cross-reactivity with other viruses. When you do not have any lesions, there is nothing to worry about. In any case of sexually acquired herpes, it rarely leads to encephalitis, even if it is there. So relax and if you have any genital blisters or ulcers, then only go for tests.

| 

Please suggest an opinion about genital STD infection.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26-year-old male. I have an STD infection in the genital area. I want to know about it? Please suggest.  Read Full »

Can herpes infection change into gonorrhea?

Query: Hello doctor,I recently was tested during my last gynecologist appointment that I was positive for gonorrhea and have since got treated. Now I have realized that my previous sexual partner gave me gonorrhea. He had herpes 1 and did not test positive for gonorrhea. My sexual partner before that have ...  Read Full »

Shall I take Lysine for herpes infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I have herpes. It was diagnosed around 2 years ago. I had a breakout and took some antiviral Acyclovir pills. I am starting to have outbreaks again on my lips. I have both types of herpes. I have heard that Lysine fights herpes and so I am taking some vitamins too. I would like to know ...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»