Q. I have recurrent lesions on lips with burning sensation. What could it be?

Dr. Deepti Shukla

I have lesions on lips reduced for a few days and now it started to come again. I have a burning and itching sensation. I took tablet Acyclovir 400 mg, Levocet 5 mg, and Acyclovir cream IP 5% for 10 days.

#

I have seen the image (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Apply Sodium fusidate cream twice daily on it for seven days, tablet Pregaba M tablet two times daily for seven days.

I need to ask a few questions also. Did you take Acyclovir three times daily? Do you see fluid-filled blisters again or only this raw wound? After how many days it recurred again? Is this the first episode or you had this before also?

Please revert back.

Yes, I took Acyclovir tablet thrice daily and applied cream three to four times a day. For the past week, I was not on any medication as I had completed the 10-day course prescribed by a general doctor. Since yesterday, the itching and burning started again and today morning, the earlier blisters started secreting fluid again. This is the first episode, and it showed up for the first time in mid July.

#

Good, you completed the treatment.

See, herpes labialis tends to recur and relapse. In relapse, blister goes away with treatment but sometimes due to any cause like lip trauma or sun exposure or any illness or flu, it comes back. These new blisters in your case are due to relapse.

Apply Acyclovir cream twice daily along with Sodium fusidate cream for seven days. Take pregaba M (Pregabalin and Mecobalamine) tablet and Valacyclovir 1 g twice daily for five days. And avoid lip trauma and sun exposure for a few days.

|