Q. What are the symptoms of concern after unprotected sex with an HSV-2-infected person?

Dr. Dhepe Snehal Laul

I had unprotected intercourse with a person who had an HSV-2 infection one week ago. I started to feel uncomfortable and had body aches, tingling sensation on my penis, burning during urination, and impending doom feeling. It started to mess with me. I developed a sort of anxiety over my issues. I did wash my penis with soap and water after sex. I do not have any symptoms today. Is this all in my head? Or am I experiencing symptoms of something else besides HSV-2?

Thanks.

#

Kindly answer me the following to help you better;

1) Have you done HSV 2 (herpes simplex virus 2) IgM (immunoglobulin M) test?

2) Do you have a fever?

3) Do you have any itching or irritation?

Thanks for the reply.

I do not have any itching or irritation in my genitals. And also, I do not have a fever. There is an occasional discomfort inside my penis.

Thanks.

#

The incubation period for genital herpes is 3 to 12 days. And the symptoms appear 3 to 12 days post-exposure. It is advisable to get HSV 1 and HSV 2 IgM tests done as there was direct contact with HSV positive person.

Did your partner had any active lesion blisters, inflammatory papules, pustules, or vehicles?

Thanks for the reply.

I did not notice any lesions on her. I am sure since it was dark. I assumed it could be herpes as I started to feel the discomfort since the next day of intercourse.

Thanks.

#

Usually, HSV patients report pain, itching, dysuria, burning during urination, and tender lymphadenopathy. A primary genital lesion may last for 18 to 21 days. And 80 percent of primary genital herpes due to HSV 2 recurs more frequently than HSV 1.

The infection starts with the symptoms such as itching, burning, irritation, tingling sensation, painful blisters, inflammatory papules, vesicles, ulcers, and crust formation. As there are no symptoms seen, you could be negative for HSV 2.

I suggest you take tablet Acyclovir 200 mg five times a day for seven days. And kindly get the HSV 1 and 2 IgM test done to rule out possible infection. If

the test comes positive; we can start with the treatment plan.

|