iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersDermatologyherpes simplexI had tested positive for HSV-1 last month. Please help.

Is a positive HSV-1 test indicative of a recent or past infection?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At May 27, 2024
Reviewed AtJune 3, 2024

Patient's Query

I was tested positive for HSV-1 last month. Is it indicative of a recent or past infection? If it is a recent infection, I can only think back to two instances where I might have gotten infected. The suspected instances were last year. Are my results consistent with these dates? Additionally, given this positive result, how likely am I to transmit this to my partner if no cold sores are present? If this is an old infection, I have never developed any cold sores or other symptoms, as far as I can remember. I also did not test positive for HSV-2. Lastly, is the use of antiviral medication recommended for my case?

Thank you very much.

I read your query and understand your concern.

The HSV-1 IgG (Herpes simplex virus-1 immunoglobulin G) positive results indicate either a recent infection or a past infection. It may not be able to differentiate when the exposure has occurred. If the IgM (immunoglobulin M) results were also positive, then there is a possibility that it might be due to a recent infection or reinfection. If in doubt, you may please repeat HSV1 and 2 IgM and IgG antibodies again.

HSV1 and 2 can be transmitted by skin-to-skin contact or kissing or as STDs (sexually transmitted infections). The chances of transmission are higher when there are active lesions at the time of contact. If you have never had any lesions, the chances of transmission may be lower. There are anti-viral suppressive therapies which can be taken to prevent recurrence. But as you did not have any lesions or do not remember any, anti-viral suppressive therapy may not be needed. Please consult your doctor for further assessment and management.

I hope this information helps provide some insight into your symptoms.

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns.

Patient's Query

Thank you very much for your help.

Glad to have you back!

I am here to help you get the best medical advice. Wish you safe and good health.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra
Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra

Dermatology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Dermatology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy