Q. I am getting recurrent lesions in my genitals. Kindly help me.

Dr. Snehal Laul
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I was wondering if you could help me figure out if I have herpes or not. I have had these come and go and went to a doctor to see, but they said it is caused by humidity and clothes and that it is not herpes, but it keeps reoccurring. I had the same worry last year, but it was less than this. I am not on any medication. The last lab test was performed one year ago. I am attaching the picture. Kindly give your opinion.

#

I have seen the pictures (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). Do you use harsh soaps? Is there any allergic reaction to soap, lubricant, or latex? Do you have a tingling or burning sensation? Do you have painful lesions, fever, itching, or irritation? Did you do excess scratching and rubbing of lesions?

Please answer the questions for details.

I do use soaps to wash it I always have. I am not sure if I am allergic. It definitely tingles, but I do not feel any pain, and I have not had any fevers. It does not itch all the time, but I do scrub and rub them when I am taking a look at it and have had an irritation. Kindly help me.

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com

I suggest you get tested for HSV 2 (herpes simplex virus) IgM (immunoglobulin M), and HSV 2 IgG test. It seems to be an allergic reaction to soap or rough handling or excess scratching or rubbing. I suggest you apply Fucidin cream (Fusidic acid) in the daytime for seven days, Lacto Calamine lotion twice daily in noon and night for ten days to soothe lesion, and Acyclovir gel in the evening for ten days.

Avoid scratching and rubbing lesions. Be gentle, do not rub harshly. Use Episoft cleanser or No soap cleanser or Cetaphil cleanser to clean genitals daily. Avoid irritant soap.

Was there any recent or unprotected sex in the last three months? When did the lesions appear?

I hope this was helpful.

Yes, I have had unprotected sex recently. The lesions seemed to have appeared a month back and left for a bit, but they have reappeared, so I am just worried. I have not had allergies to anything before, so it is weird. I will get tested. Kindly give your opinion.

#

I suggest you get the previously mentioned tests and also get urine routine urine culture and microscopy reports.

Please follow up with reports.

Avoid triggers like stress, smoking, scratching or rubbing, irritant soap, etc. Clean genitals properly after each sexual intercourse. Maintain proper genital hygiene. Avoid sexual exposure if reports come positive. Practice safe sex.

I suggest you take tablet Ciplox 500 mg (Ciprofloxacin) once a day after food for three days (as there is a secondary bacterial infection due to scratching or rubbing). Apply Fucidin cream in the daytime for seven days. Apply Lacto Calamine only if it burns or tingles. Acyclovir gel can be applied three times a day for ten days. Also, I suggest you take tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg at night after food for seven days (if itching is there).

I hope this was helpful.

|