Q. Would herpes infection affect the window period of HIV 1 and 2?

Dr. Rufiat Kazi
Published on Sep 21, 2018

I have a question regarding co-infection of HIV with various other diseases like syphilis, herpes 1, herpes 2, gonorrhea, hepatitis C, hepatitis B, chlamydia, CMV, HPV, and molluscum contagiosum. Some time ago, I had a paid unprotected oral sex encounter but vaginal sex was mostly protected. I say mostly protected because the condom was very loose due to my erectile dysfunction. I received oral sex from her without any protection. Please take into account that prior to this episode I have been experiencing chronic penile sores and burning in urethra supposedly due to my established herpes infection (earlier tested positive for both herpes 1 and 2). I also have a weak immune system because I suffered from malnutrition while growing up.

I have four questions that I want to ask. Would my herpes infection affect the window period for HIV 1 and 2? Would the window period for any of these aforementioned diseases be affected in case of pre-existing or simultaneous co-infection with another STI? Also, would my herpes infection increase the likelihood of getting infected with HIV or any other STI? Lastly, please advise when should I get tested for all these STIs in order to have conclusive results.

Dr. Rufiat Kazi

Community Medicine Family Physician
#

No, herpes does not affect the window period for HIV 1 and 2. Yes, it could be if the immune system is compromised. The term window period is used mainly with reference to HIV. Herpes infection per se does not increase the chances of an STI. But the mode of transmission of herpes is similar to the mode of transmission of other STI diseases. So the risk of exposure to all STIs is the same.

HIV test is negative at 12 weeks. Should I repeat the test at six months?

Query: Hi doctor,I had unprotected sex with a sex worker and after exactly 12 weeks of exposure, I did an HIV 1 and 2 antibodies and HIV 1 and 2 P24 combo test. It came negative. But, some guidelines advise repeating the test after six months. Should I consider my test conclusive or test again after six mo...  Read Full »

HIV1 RNA test is negative. Can it be concluded that I do not have HIV?

Query: Hi doctor,I had sex with massage girl a month back with a condom. But I am not sure about condom break. I had HIV1 RNA test 21 days late. It came negative. So do I need to take another test or can it be concluded that I do not have HIV?  Read Full »

HIV DNA PCR negative at 10 and 13 days. Should I go for more testing?

Query: Hello doctor,I have had unprotected oral sex for three minutes and she was not bleeding at the time from what I know. I got tested for proviral DNA PCR qualitative test at 10 days negative and duo test at 13 days negative. Should I go for more testing or consider it conclusive?  Read Full »

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now