Q. Do lesions on hands, soles, knees, and elbow suggest HFMD?

Dr. Bn Bhagat

A 30-years-old male has lesions on his soles, hands, knees, and elbows. He had a fever for two days last week. Does it suggestive of hand, foot, and mouth disease?

Kindly help.

#

I saw the pictures you sent (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). There are multiple flat red rashes on the hand and foot. Painful blisters with a red rash on the hands and soles in a young child under 5-years can diagnose HFMD (hand, foot, and mouth disease). It rarely affects older children and adults having a weak immune system. HFMD is a self-limiting disease. Usually, it goes away in seven to ten days without any treatment. But in your case, it is an infectious skin condition, so isolate yourself till it gets over.

I suggest you take tablet Paracetamol 500 mg for fever and apply topical ointment for mouth blisters. Maintain adequate hydration.

Kindly answer me the following to help you better;

1) Since how many days it is present?

2) Do you have painful blisters in the mouth?

3) Have you noticed any bleeding episodes like blood in urine?

4) Are there any spontaneous red rash under your skin? If it is so, the platelet count should be done. Do a CBC (complete blood count), which includes the platelet count.

I would suggest visiting a local doctor to confirm the diagnosis for HFMD.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

I do not have blood in my urine. We have a 1-year-old kid who has the same symptoms a week ago.

Kindly help.

#

From your history of the illness, HFMD could be the possible diagnosis. Isolate yourself as it is infectious till the disease subsides. How is the child now?

Take care.

Thanks.

|