Hiatus Hernia

Why do I have a strangling feeling in my throat after thyroidectomy?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been having a strangling feeling in my throat for around seven months. This came post thyroidectomy and so I thought it had to do with surgery. However, my gastroenterologist did an endoscopy and found bile in my stomach. As I researched this, I immediately thought of my ga...  Read Full »

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Medical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, your symptoms are consistent with acid reflux. Did you have the same strangling feeling in neck during the last episode of symptoms? Or was there mid-chest burning type pain? Did you have endoscopy last time? There is no correlation of your symptoms with thyroidecto...  Read Full »

Please interpret my CT abdomen for fatty liver with abdominal pain.

Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in the upper right abdomen. The pain goes to the back and side especially when I sleep on the side. Sometimes the discomfort is in the middle right and lower abdomen. I have taken a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis with iv contrast. I had an ultrasound done a few months a...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the attachment. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The CT abdomen scan is showing mild fatty changes in the liver and a left inguinal hernia. The ultrasound scan abdomen is showing fatty changes in the liver. The upper gastrointestinal endos...  Read Full »

I had to strain to have a bowel movement and felt a lump in my throat. Is this hiatal hernia?

Query: Hello doctor, I had to strain to have a bowel movement a few days ago. I instantly felt a lump in my throat after pushing. Can it potentially be a hiatal hernia?  Read Full »

Dr. Philip Shenouda

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to ilciniq.com. I want to clarify that you suffer from two different conditions. First one is related to your lower gut (straining to have bowel movements) which is constipation, a second symptom which is the lump in the throat can be a symptom of hiatus hernia (one of the reasons)....  Read Full »

What can cause RUQ pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from NAFLD for the last six months. Now, I am having RUQ heaviness, back pain and flatulence for the last three months. I had several tests and I have given the details below with the findings. USG of whole abdomen - hepatomegaly with fatty liver, fibroscan - 3.2 kPa me...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for the detailed history. Your abdominal pain appears to be either coming from your stomach (gastritis and esophagitis) or from the hiatus hernia or gall bladder stones or dysfunction. Do you have any relation of your symptoms with food, like certain foods (f...  Read Full »

Can severe acid reflux cause Barrett's esophagus?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old female. I was going through a lot of stress and started consuming alcohol at least 3 drinks a day. For the past 5 years, I have been suffering from acid reflux along with severe regurgitation and taking tablet Prilosec. I fell sick a month ago and taught it to be a res...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are many causes of reflux. Hiatus hernia is one of the conditions. It is a major concern causing lifestyle limitation. I would like to know if you are suffering from any respiratory problem. Continuous reflux can cause stricture formation and dysphasia (difficult...  Read Full »

Does a tiny nodule in cardia indicate cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a gastroscopy a week back and when I asked the doctor if I had cancer she said no. On arriving home I saw on the report that there was a tiny nodule in the cardia which has been biopsied. My question is, why would she say emphatically that I do not have cancer if she has done a bio...  Read Full »

Dr. A V Hussain Shihaz

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query in detail. The endoscopy has shown a healing ulcer and is showing healing as well as a small hiatus hernia. There is a very tiny nodule in cardia (proximal part of the stomach), which has been biopsied. These tiny nodules are usually innoc...  Read Full »

I am having hiatal hernia with chest pain. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I just had an EGD with biopsy, polypectomy. It showed a hianal hernia 2 cm. I am attaching photos. The doctor took biopsies, said no cancer. I have had breast cancer in the past. I am having pain in the chest when I swallow, and sternum today. Will that subside? Is it from the bleeding? ...  Read Full »

Dr. A V Hussain Shihaz

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the reports of your endoscopy (attachment removed to protect patient identity), as per the endoscopy you do not have any evidence of cancer. Have you received the reports of biopsy? If so, please forward it. The medications you have taken are appropria...  Read Full »

Are hiatal hernias related to autism?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a son who was diagnosed with autism at 2.5 years. He is now 7 years old. He is verbal now and has improved a lot with the help of therapies. How close is a hiatal hernia associated with autism? We have a history of hiatal hernias in my family. I also read that hiatal hernia can irr...  Read Full »

Dr. Awadhesh P Singh Solanki

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for this query. I can understand your concern regarding your son's autism. First of all, I would like to tell you, there is a relation between autism and gastrointestinal symptoms like burping, constipation, and loose bowel movements. A hiatal hernia has a ge...  Read Full »

Can hernia cause chest pain and lethargy in a young chap?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old male working in a national insurance company. My height is 5 feet 11 inches and weight is 85 kg. I do not drink and I do not have any other habits. I eat mixed diet. I am married and have one baby girl (two years of age). I am leading a stressless life both at home and...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed all your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You seem to be having GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) due to hiatus hernia. The GERD might cause the chest and back pain. I would advice you to take a combination of Pan...  Read Full »

My symptoms resemble cardiac pain. I am confused and need help.

Query: Hello doctor,I have been having intermittent chest pain since two years. The first time I went to the cardiologist, he totally dismissed it as muscular pain due to bad posture and mild bronchitis. I had an episode of sinus tachycardia last year following which I visited the same cardiologist. He did...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have not uploaded the report of stress test here but you mentioned that it is done. So anyway, firstly I do not think this has any relation to the heart because your ag...  Read Full »