Q. What should be the normal hCG value around 17 weeks of pregnancy?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2020

I am 17 weeks pregnant. As per my quadruple marker screening report, I have 1:283 risk for trisomy 21. My hCG level is coming high in report 130958 mlU/mL. A blood sample is taken at 16 weeks 4 days of gestational age. Please have a look and advise me what to do further. Doctor to whom I was consulting said she would prefer to go for amniocentesis. But, we are not willing to go for the same as the risk of 1:283 is below the cutoff. Please advise.

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Since you have a very low risk, I think you must repeat your beta hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) levels rather than the amniocentesis.
  • However, if you want to be doubly sure, just go with the suggestion of your doctor. It is always better to get checked.
  • Having gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) it does not seem mandatory though. But, once you have crossed the said period, then you cannot get the test done (amniocentesis) as it will not be effective.
  • Like any other test just get it done, though results are going to be normal. There is nothing to worry about, so relax and do not worry.
  • If you have a doubt, then get back to me with reports. I can guide you further.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

As per my report, is the beta hCG level really high? Normally at 16 to 17 weeks of gestational age, what should be the hCG value?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Usually, beta hCG values keep doubling every 48 hours in early pregnancy. However, roughly the value around 16 to 17 weeks should be between 13000 and 25500.
  • Just repeat your beta hCG and see if there is some error in the values.

| 

As per your suggestion i have done with beta hcg test again and now in 18 wk 3 days of gestation yestrday it came 82,400
Earlier it was 1,30,000 when tested 2 weeks back in quadruple marker.
So according to yestrday's test , please let me know if things are fine with it? Or any other suggestion

Thanks!!

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
# Hi dear,
The beta hcg levels at 17-24 weeks should be between 4000-1.5laks.
So you fall within the range, so nothing to worry about.
Since you're other tests are normal, you need not worry about.
Just relax and enjoy pregnancy.
If you have a doubt then get back to me with reports so that I can guide you further.
Take care

|