Q. I have elevated lipid profile and low vitamin D. Should I start medicines?

I am 39 years old. Recently I have done some health check ups. The report shows my LDL cholesterol is 140, Triglycerides -165, HDL-30. Should I take any medicine? Or should I start walking or exercise? My vitamin-D level is 20.15. What medicine should I take for my low levels of Vitamin D?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your lipid profile and liver enzyme ALT are deranged and Vitamin D is low.

For low Vitamin D, you should have tablet Uprise D3 (or Calcirol sachet) 60,000 units once a week with milk for eight weeks. After eight weeks, you should have it once a month for the next six months.

Now the liver enzyme is deranged likely due to fatty liver, which is related to deranged lipid profile. You should get an ultrasound of liver to confirm it. Now since LDL (low density lipoprotein) is moderately elevated, you may give a try of a healthy lifestyle. So you should have a healthy lifestyle like avoiding fatty, oily, high calorie foods. Avoid fried, fast food, egg yellow, non veg consumption, and avoid excessive oil. Do not reuse the cooking oil once used for frying. Have regular exercises like brisk walking or running according to the capacity for atleast 30 minutes a day. Repeat lipid profile after eight weeks and if there is a response then should continue a healthy lifestyle or else will medications like tablet Atorva (Atorvastatin) 10 mg bedtime once daily for six to eight weeks.

| 

Please check my lipid profile and provide detailed interpretation.

Query: Hi doctor, Over the last four months, I am on a high fat, high protein and low carbohydrate diet where I am taking 250 g of protein, 200 g of fat (mostly saturated) and very low carbohydrates target is less than 50 g per day. Cholesterol is one of the major problems in my family, so I got a lipid pr...  Read Full »

What is the reason for chest pain inspite of normal ECG and lipid profile test?

Query: Hello doctor, I had chest pain very lightly in different areas of the chest. The pain was not continuous but occurs only sometimes during day or night but not in the sleep. I have taken an ECG and lipid profile test, but both are normal. My doctor advised me to take Ecosprin on daily basis life lon...  Read Full »

What to do for vitamin D deficiency and fatty liver?

Query: Hello doctor, As per the lab report, I have vitamin D deficiency. USG report says liver enlargement and PFT says moderate lung disease. Please help me to understand the reports.  Read Full »