Q. I have elevated lipid profile and low vitamin D. Should I start medicines?

I am 39 years old. Recently I have done some health check ups. The report shows my LDL cholesterol is 140, Triglycerides -165, HDL-30. Should I take any medicine? Or should I start walking or exercise? My vitamin-D level is 20.15. What medicine should I take for my low levels of Vitamin D?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your lipid profile and liver enzyme ALT are deranged and Vitamin D is low.

For low Vitamin D, you should have tablet Uprise D3 (or Calcirol sachet) 60,000 units once a week with milk for eight weeks. After eight weeks, you should have it once a month for the next six months.

Now the liver enzyme is deranged likely due to fatty liver, which is related to deranged lipid profile. You should get an ultrasound of liver to confirm it. Now since LDL (low density lipoprotein) is moderately elevated, you may give a try of a healthy lifestyle. So you should have a healthy lifestyle like avoiding fatty, oily, high calorie foods. Avoid fried, fast food, egg yellow, non veg consumption, and avoid excessive oil. Do not reuse the cooking oil once used for frying. Have regular exercises like brisk walking or running according to the capacity for atleast 30 minutes a day. Repeat lipid profile after eight weeks and if there is a response then should continue a healthy lifestyle or else will medications like tablet Atorva (Atorvastatin) 10 mg bedtime once daily for six to eight weeks.

|