Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. I have elevated lipid profile and low vitamin D. Should I start medicines?

Answered by
Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 10, 2020

Hello doctor,

I am 39 years old. Recently I have done some health check ups. The report shows my LDL cholesterol is 140, Triglycerides -165, HDL-30. Should I take any medicine? Or should I start walking or exercise? My vitamin-D level is 20.15. What medicine should I take for my low levels of Vitamin D?

Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome to

I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your lipid profile and liver enzyme ALT are deranged and Vitamin D is low.

For low Vitamin D, you should have tablet Uprise D3 (or Calcirol sachet) 60,000 units once a week with milk for eight weeks. After eight weeks, you should have it once a month for the next six months.

Now the liver enzyme is deranged likely due to fatty liver, which is related to deranged lipid profile. You should get an ultrasound of liver to confirm it. Now since LDL (low density lipoprotein) is moderately elevated, you may give a try of a healthy lifestyle. So you should have a healthy lifestyle like avoiding fatty, oily, high calorie foods. Avoid fried, fast food, egg yellow, non veg consumption, and avoid excessive oil. Do not reuse the cooking oil once used for frying. Have regular exercises like brisk walking or running according to the capacity for atleast 30 minutes a day. Repeat lipid profile after eight weeks and if there is a response then should continue a healthy lifestyle or else will medications like tablet Atorva (Atorvastatin) 10 mg bedtime once daily for six to eight weeks.

I hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Kindly suggest vitamin B12 and vitamin D supplements as they are low in my blood report.
Is there anything abnormal on seeing my overall health checkup report?
Kindly help me reduce the higher values shown in my blood report.

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Please check my lipid profile and provide detailed interpretation.

Query: Hi doctor, Over the last four months, I am on a high fat, high protein and low carbohydrate diet where I am taking 250 g of protein, 200 g of fat (mostly saturated) and very low carbohydrates target is less than 50 g per day. Cholesterol is one of the major problems in my family, so I got a lipid pr...  Read Full »

What is the reason for chest pain inspite of normal ECG and lipid profile test?

Query: Hello doctor, I had chest pain very lightly in different areas of the chest. The pain was not continuous but occurs only sometimes during day or night but not in the sleep. I have taken an ECG and lipid profile test, but both are normal. My doctor advised me to take Ecosprin on daily basis life lon...  Read Full »

What to do for vitamin D deficiency and fatty liver?

Query: Hello doctor, As per the lab report, I have vitamin D deficiency. USG report says liver enlargement and PFT says moderate lung disease. Please help me to understand the reports.  Read Full »

Also Read

Can naked body to body massage spread HIV?
Hello doctor, I recently had some business trip during which I had some naked body to body massage wherein massager vag...  Read more»
Are COVID-19 Patients Infectious for up to 90 Days After Recovery?
There have been reports of recovered COVID-19 patients getting reinfected and testing positive for almost 3 months. Read...  Read more»
Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Cardiologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.