Q. My blood pressure ranges from 140/70 to 160/80 mmHg. What should I do?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 18, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 06, 2020
i am 23years old and i'm weighing 170lbs. I am worrying about my blood pressure which is ranging from 140/70 - 160/80 . What should I do?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiology General Practitioner
#

Thanks for the query

• Measures to control BP
  • Avoid smoking and other addictions
  • Reduce salt intake in diet
  • Reduce fatty foods, junk foods, saturated fats
  • Avoid stress and anxiety
  • Do regular moderate intensity exercise such as brisk walk for 30 minutes
  • Have proper night sleep, atleast 8 hours per 24 hours including atleast 6 hours in night uninterrupted sleep
  • Reduce weight even if weight in within normal range
  • Drink plenty of water
  • Do deep breathing exercises and meditation

Measure BP while you are totally relax, sit for five minutes in quiet room without talking to any one. Empty bowel n bladder before checking BP. Avoid tea/coffee 30 minutes before checking bp. Sit on chair with feet on ground, back supported, hand supported on table, cuff at position of heart. Check BP, and Repeat after 5 minutes again. Then Check BP in other arm and repeat after 5 minutes. During entire period remain relax and quiet. Arm with higher BP readings is your bp. You may take atleast 2 or more readings and average of readings is your actual BP.

If these measures don't help then start medicines. But before starting, have Renal function tests and Electrolytes done. Regards

|