Q. My BP and cholesterol are high, and I had an episode of sweating and vertigo. Is it normal?

Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay
Published on Jun 06, 2017

Hi doctor,

I am a 26 year old male, and I work as an engineer for a consultancy firm. A few weeks back, I noticed that my blood pressure is slightly on the higher side. I checked my BP every day at night for about 2 to 3 weeks and found that 90 % of the time, it is in the range of 135 to 150/80 to 100 mmHg. Also, I noticed in this period, that sometimes I feel mild pain on the left side of my chest. Mostly, the pain is on the lower left side and sometimes on the upper center. The pain is radiating type, and I feel discomfort on the left side of my chest. Two days ago, I was in the office, and suddenly I felt a cold sweat running through my body along with vertigo. It continued for about 4 to 5 minutes, then things were normal. Searching my symptoms on the internet made me even more scared, and I decided to go for a blood checkup. 

I received my blood test reports today, and I found that my homocysteine, total cholesterol, and CRP, are slightly on the higher side. Vitamin D and folic acid are below normal. Please advise whether there is some serious underlying problem. What should I do? I am attaching my reports. My other problem is chronic tension-type headaches, since the past six years and IBS, which was diagnosed eight years ago. Also, I do get a lot of acid reflux problem and take Digene frequently. Also, I would like to point out that, for the past 1 to 2 months, it has been very stressful for me. My sleep is also not proper, as I get only 5 to 6 hours of sleep on weekdays. I feel drowsy during the day.

#

I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

You BP (blood pressure) is on the higher side as per current international guideline. It may be due to persistent anxiety. Cardiac pain is mostly seen as central chest pain and increases on exertion and reduces on rest. The kind of chest pain that you are experiencing might be due to acid reflux.

High cholesterol may be due to the intake of junk food. Vitamin D deficiency is because of less exposure to sunlight. CRP (C-reactive protein) isolated has no significance. I suggest you do the following things:

1. Stress management, walk for 30 minutes daily, it will also help in maintaining vitamin D level from sun exposure.
  2. Breathing exercise for 10 minutes, two times daily.
  3. Do recreational activities.
  4. Avoid fatty, fried, spicy food, alcohol, tobacco, etc.
  5. For chronic tension-type headache and IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), do yoga and above exercises.

Coming to the medicines, I suggest you try the following: Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent.

1. Capsule Rablet-IT (Itopride and Rabeprazole), once daily before breakfast for a month.
  2. Calcirol (Cholecalciferol) sachet, weekly for eight weeks.
  3. Capsule Bio D3 plus (combination of Elemental Calcium and Calcitriol), daily for two months.
  4. Tablet Fluner (Flunarizine), daily for two months.
  5. Tablet Grenil (Paracetamol and Domperidone), for headaches.

After a month, you can review for further treatment. Hope you get some relief. The cause of the problem is anxiety, sedentary lifestyle, and taking junk food.

For further queries consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

I agree with what you said. I wanted to clarify that, was the episode of cold sweating with vertigo normal? I just hope they are not the warning signs of a cardiac arrest.

#

The cause of the episode of cold sweating and vertigo cannot be precisely ascertained, but it may be due to numerous causes. To exclude cardiac cause, I suggest you get the following tests done:

1. TMT (treadmill test).
  2. Echocardiogram.
  3. Holter monitoring.
  4. X-ray of the cervical spine, to detect cervical spondylosis. It might cause vertigo.

Consult a local doctor to clear your doubts and for further tests.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

I had high blood pressure and low heart rate. Is my ECG showing infarction?

Query: Hi doctor,I had high blood pressure, low heart rate. Is my ECG showing infarction? I have no chest pain. At the time of ECG, my blood pressure was 168/100 and heart beat 46.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your ECG (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The reports mentioned on ECG are machine generated and are frequently inaccurate. There is no clear-cut evidence of myocardial infarction on ECG. As you also do not have any history of ch...  Read Full

Can a high BP cause the nose to bleed?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom is 54 years old. She had a nosebleed two days ago that lasted five to seven minutes. Her BP usually never crosses 106/66, but after the nosebleed, her BP is usually 148/99. Since the day of her nosebleed, she is feeling a pressure in her nose and eyes. I wonder if it was a sudd...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A nosebleed can be due to many causes and the most common is a local injury. But, in your case, it seems like the high blood pressure (BP) itself is causing the nosebleed. I recommend you check her BP at different times of the day and get an average. If it is still hig...  Read Full

I have shoulder, arm, breast and neck pain. Is it musculoskeletal pain?

Query: Hello doctor,Since last few days, I am having left sided pain in the shoulder, upper arm, the front area near the shoulder, breast, both outer sides of the neck and collarbone area. Sometimes, it pains on the back side as well. I can feel the pain when I press the body part where the pain originates...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, it is not at all related to the heart. Cardiac pain usually increases on exertion and relieves with rest. It will never increase on pressing or arm movement. You do not need to repeat any test. Coming to possibilities, psychosomatic is certainly a possibil...  Read Full