Q. What changes have to be done to control BP?

Dr. Vivek Maroti Celerio Mandurke

My mother is 58 years old. She has high BP problem since last six years. She is taking Amlong-A tablet daily from then and everything was fine. For the last two months, she has been diagnosed with high BP three to four times. We went through all blood and urine tests. Once a few pus cells and some urine infection was reported, which got almost cured after taking antibiotics. But, fluctuations in BP are still there. Last week it rose to 150 on the upper side. My query is that, is the body stopped responding to current medicine since she has been taking it for the past six years? Or is there a need to increase the dose? Do we need to change the salt? Please suggest.

Do you have a question on High Blood Pressure or Hypertension?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Vivek Maroti Celerio Mandurke

DNB CARDIOLOGY
Cardiology

• Yes, blood pressure treatment is not a one day job. For her age, I will target blood pressure around 140/90 mmHg. Occasionally, 150 mmHg of blood pressure is fine.
  • Control of weight gain, less salt, stress management, yoga and active life will help to control it along with medicine.
  • As only single medicine is going on, there is a lot of scope for change or increase in the dose of medicine.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Her weight is around 47 kg and she is not very fat. All tests in general are found to be fine. I think kidney tests were also fine. But, when the BP rose to 150, she felt very uneasy, like headache, nausea, etc. Can you suggest any change in medication or increase in dose?

Dr. Vivek Maroti Celerio Mandurke

DNB CARDIOLOGY
Cardiology

• What is her current dosage of Amlodipine? If it is 5 mg, then I suggest either it can be increased or other drugs like Olmesartan can be added.
  • It is better to visit the treating doctor and get it prescribed. Get a monthly checkup and follow with your doctor.

For further doubts consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Is my BP range normal for my age?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 62 and male. I am on anti-hypertensive medication for years, my current BP is in the range of 140 to 150 (sys)/60 to 70 (dia). Is this BP good enough for my age? Any suggestions, please?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Diastolic BP is fine, but systolic is mildly elevated. According to recent evidences and guidelines, lower is better. If BP is persistently elevated above 140, then it is better to add some other medicines to keep it atleast below 140 consistently and preferably belo...  Read Full »

Simple Ways to Control Hypertension Naturally
Article Overview: This article tells how to control high blood pressure without any medicine with simple lifestyle modifications.  Read Article »
Dr. Saumya Mittal

Following lifestyle modifications for blood pressure control are recommended: The Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) eating pattern should be preferred. Reducing sodium intake. Reducing alcohol consumption. Exercising regularly. Losing weight. Smoking cessation. Stressbusters. ...  Read Article »

Suffering from osteopenia and osteoarthritis. Taking AcuCal and FreeFlex. Is it safe to take SAM(S Adenosyl Methionine) to enhance mobility?
Query: Dear Doctor,  My mother is 66 years old. She is having Trigeminal Neuralgia and for which she is taking Lyrica 75mg, Tegritol CR 400 and Symbal 30. And other medication details as below: For Cholesetrol -> Storfib -10mg. For BP -> seloken xl 100mg and amlodac 5mg. For Urinary Incontinence -&g...  Read Full »
Dr. Mohan Krishna

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq and thanks for the query. She can take SAM or MSM (Any one of them). SAM is a safe medication. It is a cartilage protective drug and will help her improve some of the pain in osteoarthritis. For osteoarthritis: you have to remember that these medications like free flex, colla...  Read Full »

Trending

Trending

Ask a Doctor Now