Q. Will high blood pressure lead to chronic kidney disease?

Dr. Sushma Shah

I am a 32-year-old male. One month back I checked my BP, it was 120/90 mmHg and today again I checked, it was 140/90 mmHg. Both were done in doctor's clinic. I did blood hemogram and cholesterol tests everything is normal. Two yrs back I did USG of full abdomen it was normal. In my family, my mom is having a high BP due to which she is a CKD patient and on dialysis. That is why I am a bit concerned whether this BP figure indicates that. Should I start the BP medication? I have changed my food habits. Kindly suggest whether I should start the medication so that it does not affect me in my later life as my mom.

Dr. Sushma Shah

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

Blood pressure is different at the same time by different machine or the instrument used previously.

Now regarding the value of blood pressure, it is not mandatory that the value is fixed. It is different for different people of the same age. But it depends on weight, height, food habits, regular work out, etc. Take a low salt diet and avoid pickles.

Family history did not count but you can prevent it by changing the lifestyle i.e. regularity in food habits, exercise, etc. Avoid consuming alcohol. stop smoking if you do. Avoid or decrease the non-vegetarian diet as it may increase your cholesterol levels and leads to atherosclerosis, heart disease, kidney failure, etc. In nutshell, all organs may be affected.

Do not start blood pressure tablets as 120/90 and 140/90 mmHg does not make any big difference. The upper value is called systolic pressure which up to 150-160 is no worry and the lower value is called diastolic pressure in which 90 is the lower limit of high blood pressure.

| 

There is no urine output in a diabetic patient. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, My father-in-law is aged 77 years. He has diabetes and blood pressure. His creatinine level is between 3.6 and 3.8. Has high levels of albumin in the urine and high levels of urea (129). He is admitted to the hospital following less to nil urine output. They have placed a catheter and...  Read Full »

Can you help me analyze my father's serum and urine immunofixation tests?

Query: Hello doctor, I am asking this question on behalf of my dad, who is 60 years old, 5 feet 9 inches, and 173 lbs. He was recently diagnosed with stage three chronic kidney disease. He also recently received an abnormal result on a serum immunofixation test, which I know can be an indicator of multiple...  Read Full »

How will high blood pressure affect the kidney?

Query: Hi doctor, My mom is 65 years old. Her blood pressure is 180/90 mmHg. She is suffering from urine infection and her serum uric acid is 7.6 mg/dL. I have attached her other reports for your reference. She is currently on Norflox 400 twice daily, Ciploric 300 one tablet daily at night, Telma AM one t...  Read Full »