Q. Do I need to take Insulin with FBS 271 and PPBS level 475?

Dr. Ankush Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 08, 2020

I am a 70 year old female. My weight is 60 kg. I am a known case of NIDDM. I am on Glimepiride 4 mg bid and Repaglinide bid. But, my FBS is 271 and PPBS is 457. Is there any solution to lower my sugar without Insulin? For me Insulin was already prescribed, but still I have not started.

Dr. Ankush Gupta

Critical Care Physician Diabetology
#

• Your blood sugar levels are very high. You have to get started on Insulin as it is the best way to reduce blood sugar.
  • Insulin production in our body is decreased, so we are just replacing that from outside.
  • You are already on two oral anti-diabetic drugs which are high in dose. So, it is the right time to get started on Insulin.
  • Add tablet Glyciphage (Metformin) 500 mg twice a day till you make up your mind for Insulin.
  • This much high blood glucose will affect your kidneys, eyes, heart and arteries.
  • Better start on Insulin to have a better complication free life. Get well soon.

For further information consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

| 

My serum creatinine 2.19 mg/dL. Can I take Glyciphage?

Dr. Ankush Gupta

Critical Care Physician Diabetology
#

• You did not mention your serum creatinine before. No, you cannot take Glyciphage because of your high serum creatinine.
  • As I mentioned earlier, Insulin would be the appropriate choice to prevent you from further complications.

For further doubts consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

| 

My creatinine is 3.05 mg/dL. How bad is it?

Query: Hello doctor, My blood report came today surprise me that my creatinine is 3.05 mg/dL. How bad is it? I am very concerned. Is there any way I can avid dialysis and treat with medication, diet and excursive. Please guide me if possible. I am taking Verapamil ER 180 mg and Atorvastatin 20 mg for hig...  Read Full »

I take insulin, but my sugar levels are high. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, How are you? I am a 54 year old male. Nowadays, my sugar level is very high. Every day, I inject 28 units of insulin, 16 units in the morning before food and 12 units in the evening before food. But, my sugar levels are at 255 mg. I want to know if I should increase the shot of insulin...  Read Full »

What is the recommended dose of Metformin for my sugar levels?

Query: Hi doctor, My age is 33 and weight is 80 kg. My glycosylated fasting sugar 106 and postprandial is 115. Will Metformin help me to lose weight? Which medicine is better, either Metformin or Metformin extended release? How much dosage should I take?  Read Full »

Ask a Diabetologist Now