Q. Kindly help me with some treatment options to reduce my sugar level.

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 21, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 04, 2021

I am 41 years old with a weight of 94 kilograms and a height of six feet. Today I brought a glucometer and checked my sugar levels. I had a blood sugar level of 220 mg/dL. Kindly suggest some measures to reduce my sugar level.

#

I have gone through the details given. Having a random blood sugar of 220 mg/dL is quite high than the expected level. A normal person should have a fasting blood sugar of less than 100 mg/dL and postprandial should be 6.5 percent. This gives you a clear idea. For taking treatment, you can take tablet Tenelegliptin 20 mg and Metformin 500 mg after breakfast. If it is not available, you can take Vildagliptin and Metformin. You need to reduce your weight of 94 kilograms and your BMI (body mass index) is 27.40 kgs/sq.meter.

The normal BMI should be less than 23 kgs/sq.meter. Your ideal body weight should be 81 kilograms. Hence weight reduction itself helps you to achieve better glucose control. Regarding your diet, avoid taking junk foods and take green leafy vegetables and salads. Avoid taking bakery items and foods made from maida. Try to reduce your rice intake and increase your protein intake. You need to do exercise for one hour a day. Avoid drinking alcohol and smoking. It is necessary to follow a modified lifestyle in diabetes.

|