Q. My blood sugar level increased with quitting alcohol. Shall I increase Trajenta dose?

Dr. Nadeem Abootty
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 21, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 02, 2020

I am a diabetic. One month back I used to drink alcohol about 350 ml every night and in the morning I take one tablet of Trajenta. Since I have stopped drinking, I feel to eat some sweet and I do eat some ice cream once a day or a Bournvita milk. When I check my sugar randomly now on On- touch Ultra it is between 200 to 265 mg/dL. So to maintain my sugar level can I have two tablets of Trajenta in the morning and evening?

#

From your history, I could understand that you are suffering from uncontrolled type 2 diabetes for one month. Usually, uncontrolled blood sugars may not initially show symptoms, that does not mean it is safe to have high blood sugars for a long time. We are controlling sugars to prevent complications which are usually manifested 5-10 years later.

In your case, the blood sugars might have slightly lowered after stopping drinks that might be causing relative hypoglycemia symptoms, which usually will be over within a couple of weeks. Anyway, still your blood sugars are uncontrolled. I will advise you to follow a better diet pattern with limited calories according to your activities and a low glycemic index food intake. Also, try to spend 30 minutes daily for regular aerobic exercises.

Coming to your medication, do not increase Trajenta 5 (Linagliptin). Continue the same dosage. You can add a new tablet for better sugar control. Avoid drinks completely for avoiding sugar fluctuations.

HBA1c (glycated hemoglobin),serum creatinine, and urine albumin creatinine ratio.

Continue Trajenta 5 mg 0-0-1. Add tablet Amaryl M1 1-0-0 (before food).

Fundus examination by an ophthalmologist to rule out diabetic retinopathy.

Review after three weeks.

| 

Is brown rice good for a diabetic patient?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 38 year old male. My height is 6 feet height and weight is 90 kg. I have been a hypertensive for the past ten years. My fasting sugar generally comes in the range of 100 to 130; PP 140 to 170 and A1c level is 6.6. Should I start medicine for this? For hypertension I am taking Losar...  Read Full »

I am implanted with pacemaker and potassium is high. What diet to follow?

Query: Hello doctor, I am implanted with a pacemaker. I am aged 71, potassium 5.1, fasting glucose 273, postprandial 353. What diet should I follow?  Read Full »

High sugar and creatinine levels. What might be the cause?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother-in-law is 56 year old. For the past 10 years she is having diabetes. Since 5-6 months, her sugar levels are very high. She is using insulin Actrapid 20 units. Three years back, she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Underwent operation, chemotherapy, radiation therapy and cancer ...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Diabetologist Now